Sheepskin cheekpieces? Your opinons please?

Kc..

Nov 7, 2007
North Cotswolds
www.casseywatson.co.uk
Right so after Lantern's SJ debut yesterday we now know the things we need to work on. One of those being napping toward the other horses. He's always been a clingy sole and is used to hunting where he does everything with everyone else!

So someone suggested i try him in some sheepskin cheekpieces to try and focus his attention ahead. What do you think?

It sounds like a decent idea to me but wondered what your opinions were?

I think i saw a thread on here not so long ago where hero used them on her horse kingston bsja'ing wtih good results ... i could be worth a try. sorry nothing else constructive to add apart from that :)

My RI advised me yesterday to try this on one of mine - he's very spooky and she knows of other horses that this has helped. She called them "French Blinkers"

Might give it a go, anyone else apart from Flashy33 tried them?

I used to use them with Blackie-they were only a quick fix for him & as soon as he knew they were going on, he started playing me up other ways instead :rolleyes:
His focus is still on others all the time, but tbh the french blinkers didnt help :eek:

like these , he only wears them for jumping , so he doesnt get too used to them
IMG_0001.jpg

I would say go for it, if they don't work you can't say you didn't try!!

By the sounds of it that's a good idea anyway, and they should do the trick if hes a bit of a nosy parker! I know a girl that uses two length of plastic pipe on her cheekpieces as apposed to sheepskin (don't know what the difference makes!) and her and her horse are on the Open SJ team, so she must be doing something right!

Also, my friends mare HATES water trays with a passion, and sees them as evil black holes which will swallow her up and won't go near them! However, now she uses a big furry noseband on her and she will jump anything! Water tray, with ducks and manky water in! No prob!!
;)

newrider.com