Sheepskin

birat

Jul 2, 2008
Does anyone use a piece of real sheepskin as a saddle pad?
I have an old rug and Im tempted to cut it up and put under my treeless instead of forking out for a numnah and wondered if it would be ok?

Similar to a diddipad - very flat with a small gullet. Im using it with a suber and polypad at the mo but sheepskin would be better at filling in the gaps and not as bulky as the polypad.

Ive done a test with sheepskin and the longer wool rug type sheepskin doesn't do to well with sweat, it takes a lot longer to dry out when wet and doesn't absorb as much as the shorter cropped sheepskin.

I would still be willing to help help with padding if you send me a few pics of the saddle on the horse:)

I'm nearly there, suber and polypad are fine but slip and he doesnt like the shelf liner stuff. I was using a bit of vetbed under the suber and that works best of all but he gets a bit hot. Want to stick with the suber if I can just need something full size under it that will stay put. Also the swung girth would be great and reduce the pull on his withers but the Torsion is 20" and I think that will be too long.

newrider.com