Shetland Driving - Mini v Standard

Some are shod, some don't have shoes. It depends on the pony and how much work theya re doing and what they are taking part in.

How does your farrier cope with shoeing a Shetland? I mentioned to my farrier that I would like to get a Shetland for driving and it may need shoes, and he said that he would be having bad dreams about that from now on; never shod a Shetland (my 11.2hh Sec A with tiny feet is the smallest he has done) and imagines that it would be difficult.

BTW - he is a great farrier and certainly the most experienced around here (except for the Olympic Team farrier who comes down to our equine vets - and charges a lot :eek:).

Ali xx

My farrier threatened to retire last year when I told him I was getting another shetland! He hasn't yet, but I think the apprentices do a lot of the back breaking stuff.

There's a lovely DVD from the Northern Shetland Enthusiasts with a section with a farrier. At one point he sits down to be at the right level.

several of you have mentioned that driving shetlands is more fun .. what is it about shetlands that differs, and is it just more fun than the bigger animals, or are they more fun than the 11- 12 h range of pony too? ive sometimes thought i might like to have a shetland one day in the future

I'm not sure how to describe it, but they really are more fun. They are very intelligent and loyal and incredibly competitive as well - mine were absolutely furious if anyone overtook us on the marathon phase...Mac would literally scream challenges like a stallion at them :D Once you have got your head around them (they don't always function quite like anything else) then they are addictive. They are also very steady and sensible generally in terms of traffic etc which makes them more relaxing to drive, but they are not always sensible in terms of behaviour within the limits of what is safe, but they are generally bright enough to stay safe. Mine used to like to spring up the hills like a coaching team, in full gallop with the vehicle beginning to slew behind them as they were going so fast :eek: we were clocked at well over 25mph once..not bad for a Shetland pair..

Grace is always trying to anticipate the next command. For example, I make her walk out of the yard and past the school, so she doesn't spook anyone. She prefers to trot everywhere, so when we reach the corner she is keenly waiting for the command. It doesn't matter what I say at that point - she will trot as soon as she hears my voice (but not before). So, "Oh look at that dog" (to my groom) will produce trot. If I don't want her to trot then, I either have to stay silent or just say "walk" very firmly.

At this time of year, the verges are very overgrown making the road quite narrow. They are also a favourite hiding place for pheasants, who like nothing better than squawking and jumping out at us. Of course this makes Grace jump - it makes me jump too! So for safety's sake, we come back to walk whenever a car appears, either coming towards us or overtaking. Grace, bless her, has worked this out and will slow to walk herself if she thinks I'm a bit late giving the command, and then trot on when the vehicle has passed. If I want anything different, I have to be very positive about it, and will get an ear flick to check she heard it right.

It's this constant communication/conversation that I love.

I've just realised I don't know whether there is an official division between mini and standard. Grace and Eggwub are both about 38", and I would describe them as (smallish) standards. 34" I would call mini.

We drive a pair of 32" Minis. They are Mini Shetland x Falabella - although they look very like Mini Shetlands to me. They are fantastic fun to drive - actually more fun than our bigger driving ponies.
We drive them blinkerless as they are happiest that way. One is driven in a jointed snaffle & the other in a straight rubber snaffle - they have really soft mouths.
We use a Hartland carriage & find it great for them. The ponies can really shift & are brilliant at cones etc. They happily pull me & my kids, & even hubby too when they are fit. But unlike Standards they wouldn't go all day & we help them up hills when out on a drive - fortunately not many big hills in Suffolk/Norfolk.
They have tiny feet, but have front shoes on. My farrier makes their shoes himself. They are very good to shoe - but he hates shoeing them as hoof walls so thin makes it difficult. Tried them without shoes but they get a bit footsore.
I'll attach my favourite photo of them, although it's an old one - (carriage in photo is not the Hartland)

jtnew9.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't be at all surprised. Give it a try and see.

Easier said than done.
Already have 2 ridden horses (no, I wouldn't trust either driven :eek: ) and not sure OH would be too impressed if I added a couple of shetlands to the list.
BUT I will go and see because I *think* there's a local riding club which drives too ...

Then again, 2 shetlands don't take up THAT much more room, do they ? :D

Then again, 2 shetlands don't take up THAT much more room, do they ? :D

No, shetlands hardly take up any room at all. It's the carriage and harness that take up the room.

Mind you, a shetland's mischief potential is inversely proportional to its size, so you certainly know they're around:eek:

Hmmm, I have a little black stallion who comes and bangs on the door every morning. He likes to pretend to be the Butler, doncherknow. He meets and greets everyone who comes down the track........he not supposed to BE on the track, he's supposed to be in his field!

BTW I am my own farrier, and I'd rather shoe a Lithuanian draft than a Shetland....any day!

newrider.com