shetland pony country file re-run

Talibutts

Nov 1, 2010
Pie Land
In my efforts to avoid watching the football last night, I watched a countryfile re-run, the one where they visit some Shetland ponies, and then the lady presenter rides one on the beach.

It has stuck in my head all day, I'm a nervous rider, but a decent rider, and I am currently the owner of a two year old pony, who I am showing everything too in the hope of creating a super bond with my own bombproof little pony. However, I am missing riding, I could ride one of my daughters pones, but I keep thinking of the possibility of a riding Shetland that would be big enough for a 5 foot 2 10 and a half stone old bird.....am I being unrealistic?

If you got a big 42 inch Island type you'd nor he would have any bother.

Well I have taken to riding Acorn once a week to help his education for Emma as he was taking the Mick and she wasn't strong enough with him - I'm 5ft and very light and hes 36" - and he still trys it on with me - to no avail - he has no problems with me on him at all - I am quite enjoying it!

Well I have taken to riding Acorn once a week to help his education for Emma as he was taking the Mick and she wasn't strong enough with him - I'm 5ft and very light and hes 36" - and he still trys it on with me - to no avail - he has no problems with me on him at all - I am quite enjoying it!

WOW.. I was thinking that I would like to start riding again, just a plod occaisionally.. But I have myself a shetland for driving :frown:

Looks like it could be a possibility???? (when he's old enough)

I'm 5'2" and about 8 stone, He should make 40".. Just even to do some At liberty riding with him would be fun..

8 stone for a 40 inch Island type would be a walk in the park. Remember the only small thing about Shetlands is the length of their legs. They have the same bone as a much bigger horse and a mechanical advantage second to none. They are power houses. You'll be told you look silly, but my answer is I;d look silly on any size horse so what have i got to loose?

8 stone for a 40 inch Island type would be a walk in the park. Remember the only small thing about Shetlands is the length of their legs. They have the same bone as a much bigger horse and a mechanical advantage second to none. They are power houses. You'll be told you look silly, but my answer is I;d look silly on any size horse so what have i got to loose?

I have a feeling my shetland is the finer type? His beeder who no longer wanted him, told me that?
He doesnt seem to have the chunky legs of some shetlands.. Or is that just his age? You've seen the pictures wally.. Any thoughts?

I have a feeling my shetland is the finer type? His beeder who no longer wanted him, told me that?
He doesnt seem to have the chunky legs of some shetlands.. Or is that just his age? You've seen the pictures wally.. Any thoughts?

HE's still very much a baby, and IME they don't truly fill out and chunk up intl 4-5 years old. They can look very lanky for a good few years, We suck our teeth at our youngsters at 2-3 then show them when they are 4-5-6.

I certainly would not ask them to do more than 20 minutes as a 4yo with 8 stone, let them get fit and mature then you could ride them all day at 8 stone

I'm 8 stone and 5'6'' with long thighs. These two aren't proper Shetlands - just Shetland types - but same sort of size and build. We hack out (ride-and-lead) and do a bit in the school, I also made some mini XC jumps in the field and have taken them out clear-round jumping. Not only do they not struggle to carry me but they can be extremely keen and strong!

Jumpy fun at home. I have to be careful I don't knock the poles with my feet :giggle: This was a really hot day and the school was in need of rolling so the sand was very deep for little legs - they still gave it their all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY5tiukyBtE

Clear-round crosspoles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qud2HmEid5s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s__py-RBDJY

HE's still very much a baby, and IME they don't truly fill out and chunk up intl 4-5 years old. They can look very lanky for a good few years, We suck our teeth at our youngsters at 2-3 then show them when they are 4-5-6.

Yey! So he will get to be a chunk eventually :biggrin:

In my efforts to avoid watching the football last night, I watched a countryfile re-run, the one where they visit some Shetland ponies, and then the lady presenter rides one on the beach.

It has stuck in my head all day, I'm a nervous rider, but a decent rider, and I am currently the owner of a two year old pony, who I am showing everything too in the hope of creating a super bond with my own bombproof little pony. However, I am missing riding, I could ride one of my daughters pones, but I keep thinking of the possibility of a riding Shetland that would be big enough for a 5 foot 2 10 and a half stone old bird.....am I being unrealistic?

If you decide to ride them.. can we have some photo's..

Im enjoying looking at them and the video's..

newrider.com