Shetland sore after trim, hoof boots?

polly101

Sep 25, 2009
Shropshire
Hi,

First I apologise for not contributing to the forum lately :oops:

3 weeks ago my mini shetland had a trim and since then finds stony ground hard going.

Farrier is away for a month now.

He is fine on grass / soft ground and sill has his daily mad 10 min gallop around this field.

The sorness came immediatly after his trim and isnt improving much.

He did have some slight yellowing near to his frog which is fading, so im thinking this is bruising.

Ive have been taking the long way round from his stable to his field to avoid the stoney path, and I havnt been able to take him for his walks as he will find it too painful.

I have been using hoof hardener but cant see that has made much difference.

So was thinking of using hoof boots to give his feet a chance, and so i can continue his walking, do you think this would be a good idea, or has anyone made there own just using padding and vet wrap?

I must admin I was going to call the vet this week but was swayed by fellow livery that his feet just need to grow a bit! But I am thinking that perhaps I should have had the vet out by now!

But as he is fine on the grass and fine in his stable he is not in discomfort on concrete its just the stones.

Sorry for long post !!!xx

A trim should leave the pony improved not worse.
So my guess is the farrier took off too much.
However you are talking three weeks now so either with the rain we had-dont know about you, you have thrush?
Or a corn? Soft soles?
Mine occasionally finds stones hard going and I lead on them daily, if she went worse though with no improvement I would get the farrier out, in your case perhaps a second opinion.

I'd be concerened there had been no improvement in 3 weeks, mine get sore after a trim on occasion but it only lasts a few days.

Reactions: Gimp
My two are sometimes a wee bit sensitive after a trim but it rarely lasts more than a day or two. I would be looking for another cause, as others have suggested. Sorry that your little man is sore.

I have never known Belle be sore after a trim but we have had a lot of issues this year with 'footy' over stones down to LGL, could it possibly be that?

This happened to my shetland, he was trimmed too short and ended up with bruised soles. I also thought they just needed to grow but weeks later still no improvement ,the farrier said just to leave them and let them grow but i ended up buying him cavallo boots which I must say did make him a lot more comfortable although we only used them going over rough ground. He still wasnt improving though and the farrier ended up putting on front shoes back to front, and he said he thought the pony had low grade lami..I have always been very careful with his diet but our field has had a lot of clover this year? I got him tested for cushings when the vet was out doing their vaccinations and his results came back a very high positive. He is now on prascend well actually now on 2 a day after getting retested. I also got an equine podiatrist out and she removed his shoes and we are back to being barefoot and he is on a diet of hay, fast fibre and hifi lite with supplements, he is about 30 years old and seems to be doing well at the moment.. and before anyone says hay should be enough for him he does need the fast fibre amd hifi lite as he can quickly loss condition, i am guessing now that it is because of his cushings?

I would guess at 30 he hasn't got many teeth, so the fast fibre is easy for him to eat. We have one with no teeth on grass and beet, hay he struggles with.

Thanks for your replies, Ive not been on here much this week, as had problem with my dog, which ive been worrying about all week! all ok on that front now though.

He has improoved slightley , but I have the vet coming in the tomorrow anyway , as i am now panicking it it could be lgl.!! Although I dont think it is, but I cant have him in pain.

I have ordered some hoof pads for him, so if all ok from the vet we will be using these to walk out with.

I have hoof boots for Acorn which we used a few years back after during his remedial trimming post lammi.not used them for ages now as his foot shape has changed , not sure the last time he was sore post trim - which actually is bloody marvoulous position to be in - we have to let Charlie off roadwork for a couple of days post trim otherwise he does get sore, soft soles and still in remedial trimming.

I have our other Shetland Nuts sporting a rather fetching little bright green number on her n/s fore as the trim on Saturday exposed bruising we think due to the strain following her injury and now arthritis (DJD thanks to a conformation problem she looks either to have acquired during her breeding days or born with but as she was 18 when we got her we will never know). so as a precaution we pad with poultice dressing and vetwrap or if we know it is going to be dry we just pop a nappy on and keep it in place with Vetwrap - New born size does the job.

we use nappies or the vetwrap dressing for Charlie or Acorn now for a couple of days combined with the hoof hardener if they have any sign of bruising post trim, it saves a lot of pain and worry.

newrider.com