Shetland Stallion In Feild With Mares And Geldings...

M

*MoneyTalks*

we have a 8.3hh shetland stallion in our feilds with the mares and geldings, i was wondering what are your views on this??,
my horse hasnt been out in the new feilds yet due to bx rest, but
what'cha think?

Copied from one of your other threads:

I'm actually more amazed at the stalions owners - surely they are putting it at risk putting it in a mixed herd at that size, yes I have a shetland mares that is turned out with a 17hh, but its a different kettle of fish with a stallion, in with mares, that could elicit any sort of a response from the geldings in the herd.

It's been known for fruity mares to get down to little stallions....and stallions are clever swines to find some way of "mission possible":D......also stallions can get aggressive over mares in season and even a 8 hh shetlans can deliver a powerful kick and bite to a unsuspecting gelding.
I'd not want ANY size of stallion out with my horse as he used to get duffed up by a colt i used to own before that colts wedding tackle descended enough to be removed. :eek:
Caz xx

Is this a livery yard?:eek: For real? With paying clients? :confused:

Mad idea IMHO!

Not to mention how if could affect the mares when they come in season, and how much the gelding won't like it, the Shetland stallion could easily cover a mare...there was a thread on here a while back about mares laying down and a Shetland stallion covering them! Paul knows someone this happened to! The big shire cross mare lay down, was covered by the Shetland stallion, and hey presto...the ugliest worst conformation foal ever!

I have no problem with mixed herds at yards, as long as everyone is 'introduced' properly, but I would draw the line with an entire out with everything else, especially clients' horses. :eek:

Plus....is this 8.3hh Shetland turned out in a herd with horses of all sizes? My little ones would get used as footballs if they went in the 'big boys and girls' field!

Not good at all, I believe it is possible for them to cover mares no matter how small they are comparatively, sure I've heard somewhere that they can tease mares to the point where they lie down to be covered? Could be wrong but where there's a will there's a way and all that. Can't say I'd advise it anyway, could cause all sorts of fights etc.

Are you allowed to turn out new horses immediately?

If there is a stallion, I'd be concerned: my friend's little colt plays quite roughly with his Shetland friend (a stallion) and I was horrified when he was out with the geldings one day as his behaviour was dangerous and unpleasant.

However, the Shetland stallion is very relaxed and doesn't act like a stallion.

It all depends on how his nature is, but I wouldn't turn out even a mini stallion with mares: they can be very determined.

At work there is a stallion out with the geldings. (all live out 24/7)
(the stallion is a big hunter)
There are next to the mares field, a part of it is only separated by leccy fencing.
i think it depends on the stallion himself and that its unfair to stereotype them all.

Just one thing to say - BAD IDEA

I knew a shire mare and her 5yo gelding son.
Shetland stallion got into shires' field. Stallion was trying to mount mare, gelding was attacking shetland, yes that's an up-to-size shire vs small shetland.
I don't know how the stallion survived but he was apparently in a bad way (not surprisingly). :mad:

At work there is a stallion out with the geldings. (all live out 24/7)
(the stallion is a big hunter)
There are next to the mares field, a part of it is only separated by leccy fencing.
i think it depends on the stallion himself and that its unfair to stereotype them all.

Sorry titch but I'm afraid I kind of have to disagree with you there. :eek: Whilst I don't agree with the image of stallions as crazy, wild, dangerous, sex-crazed beasts, it is natural for them to cover mares in season, not something they really have the capacity to think through I wouldn't have thought. Whilst it's a bit different whilst the stallion is being handled, I would have said a well-behaved, calm stallion who is properly handled shouldn't react to a mare in season, I would have said that when turned out loose in the field it would be part of its' natural instincts to cover a mare in season?

I think its asking for trouble and no horse of mine would be out in that situation. Someone will end up hurt whether its the stallion or the mares or even one of the geldings.

PL52 - I'm afraid I'm going to have to slap you on the wrist and sit you down and talk to you about the birds on the bees. ;):D

You made me laugh out loud (very loud) when I read that! ;):p

PL52 - I'm afraid I'm going to have to slap you on the wrist and sit you down and talk to you about the birds on the bees. ;):D

You made me laugh out loud (very loud) when I read that! ;):p

birds ON the bees aye? never got that talk when i was little!! i only got the bogstandard birds AND bees!! lol

newrider.com