Shires shock absorbing pad.....

P

Pink's lady

Does anyone have one? How good are they? And most importantly, how do they compare to a prolite?

I'm having no luck finding the split wither relief pad I want (since prolite don't seem to make it any more:rolleyes: ) so will probably have to make one. It shouldn't be hard (did it before with a suber pad and a dab hand with the sewing machine if I do say so myself:eek::p)

THIS is the pad I'm looking at. Looks about perect. Good thicknes at the front (needed to lift the whole saddle off the spine a bit) and easy enough to split. And cost a lot less than the Prolite equivelent:eek: But how well does it last? Is the material any good? And how soft it is? It can't be too floopy else it won't do what it needs to do.

I have one. Its heavier than a prolite and feels like a spongy gel material.
If you want to try one you can have mine for £5, I don't use it anymore and its practically brand new.

ooo, really? I might take you up on that offer. How big is it (i.e fit an 18" saddle)? Is it thick? I need it to be a good 1/2" at least and not hugely compressable (have a look here for why). Does it lift the saddle much? I'm thinking of use on of these then an altered wintec raiser (those foam pad thingies) on top to give the lift needed.

it is 20 inches front to back, a prolite riser is 21 inches.

just over 1/2 inch at front, just under 1/2 inch at back. It is very firm when you press into it.
The prolite is just over 1/2 inch at back, and 3/4 inch at front.
The shape and style is very similar to my prolite front riser.

Did you just go measureing;) Thank you:D

Is it a front raiser? Looks like it might be in the ebay picture but doesn't say it is. That's not a problem though if it's well graudated and not too extreme (in fact it might be useful). Do you think it would survive being split down the middle (neatly, with sewing machine) and do the job I need it to?

It is a slight front riser, not as thick at the front as the prolite front riser.
It looks like there is a double layer of webbing holding the 2 sides together, so it might be a case of just undoing the webbing and having the 2 halves, but you could defiantly separate the halves.
As for the job you need, I used my prolite pad on my very high withered tb to lift the saddle up a bit, and used it on my wide but high withered idxtb to lift the saddle, so it might work. splitting the 2 halves either side if the wither to the rise of the pad might also work, just so it gives some clearance for the withers but stays together.

newrider.com