shoes came off today yay!!

devonlass

May 20, 2006
devon
So some of you may remember I had to have Marble shod when at the trainers yard as was not coping with the roadwork.Had to be done but I was never really overly comfortable with it.He has been re-shod once since being back with me,but have today had trimmer out to remove his shoes!!

I am soooo relieved to have got them off,we have our renegades back again,and are now officially barefoot and able to still work once more!!

He was walking like a right muppet at first on his bare feet,and even more so with the boots on (was so funny,he kept flicking his legs up under him as if to say 'what the heck is on my feet!!':giggle:),but is already fine in the field barefooted,and ok on the road with the boots (although still walking very slowly looking suspiciously at the boots!!).Will give him a week before taking him out on road barefoot and go from there.

So yeh,not overly exciting in the grand scheme of things,but I am thrilled to be naked again:cloud9:

ETA: ok just ot be clear I meant naked hooves,not that I am thrilled to be walking around naked:redface::giggle:

Brilliant. I have just got home after my EP visit. Its brill, Abbys feet have changed and improved sooo much in 5 weeks its unbelievable! :inlove:

They are getting there and developing some beautiful feet, still like dinner plates but good looking and functioning ones :tongue:

Im so happy and in such a good mood. Bring on the week ahead, i start my barefoot course and hopefully start the training towards becoming an EP yippeeeee :bounce:

Good to hear DL. I'm hoping to keep my boy barefoot once we start doing more work. I've just switched from a farrier to a trimmer and somehow things feel a bit more optimistic. We've always been barefoot but don't think he was getting the right trim...going to do some research and find out a bit more about it all and not be such an ignorant owner.:redface:

PS, aren't we about due a proper Marble update with photos?!

That's good to hear, it does sometimes take them a few days to adjust but it doesn't seem to take the hooves very long to get back to where they were. Rio is unshod again now, had no choice really, her feet look good but she's been a bit footy since the dry spell ended and the grass started growing again.

Thanks everyone for the kind words,probably seems a silly thing to be excited about,but really am so pleased to be naked again:biggrin:

I don't have anything against him having had shoes,they were needed at the time,and I certainly don't want to say anything against the farrier and the job he did,as was really pleased with that aspect of it,is just I prefer feet as nature intended them and to be able to *see* all what is going on with his feet,which is impossible with shoes.

So pleased to hear everyone elses success stories with their barefooters,and for those that are not managing so well will be keeping fingers crossed,am sure they will all come good in the end.

VM-rennies are on loan for a min just to make sure Marb get's on with them,but assuming he does will be buying my new pair soon,and yes they are expensive,but not as bad getting them through my trimmer,and soooooo worth every penny,love rennies:biggrin:

Yes I know you are all due an update,apologies for being so slack,will do my best to do an update in the next few day's!!

Thats great news!!

Not a silly thing to be excited about at all!!

I have only recently returned so havnt seen your previous posts so knew nothing but its still great to hear your horse has gone barefoot again!

I'd love to be able to have my boy as natural as possible but we tried and he just couldnt cope without shoes :( sadly!! So it costs me £65 every 6 weeks as apposed to £25 for a trim!!!

Hope it goes well for you both being naked footed :D:showoff:

Thats great news!!

Not a silly thing to be excited about at all!!

I have only recently returned so havnt seen your previous posts so knew nothing but its still great to hear your horse has gone barefoot again!

I'd love to be able to have my boy as natural as possible but we tried and he just couldnt cope without shoes :( sadly!! So it costs me £65 every 6 weeks as apposed to £25 for a trim!!!

Hope it goes well for you both being naked footed :D:showoff:

Lol at the naked thing,I know how it sounds yet still keep saying it,must learn not to type *exactly* what I think!!

Thanks for the support,I really am made up about returning to bare feet,was almost like a relief when those shoes came off!!

Sorry your lad didn't take to it,did you have a barefoot trimmer/EP etc?? Can make a lot of difference having the right kind of help and advice rather than trying to do it alone.
Think of all the money you'd save as well:wink:

Sorry your lad didn't take to it,did you have a barefoot trimmer/EP etc?? Can make a lot of difference having the right kind of help and advice rather than trying to do it alone.
Think of all the money you'd save as well:wink:

No just my normal farrier, when i got him 3 yrs ago he had all 4 on but we took the backs off and he was ok to start off with but as soon as we started doing road work he got very foot sore.....i dont think my farrier was helping either....wasnt doing a great job....

Iv had my current farrier for about 2 yrs and when i first got him he was only shod up front, farrier said he really needs backs on as he went lame for 4 weeks and threw 2 absesses, his back feet were a mess...mind you his fronts werent much better......I have asked him if he'd go bare foot and he said with the amout of road work I do 'no' I dont think he'd fib to me just to make money cos he's a good bloke so im hoping he's telling me the truth.... lol

my friends horse was bare foot for ages and coped fine but then his feet started splaying at the front and wouldnt get better as she did more road work so he now too has front shoes...

I dont think my lad will ever go barefoot...not unless i stop doing road work, which isnt an option right now lol!!

I can imagine how nice it is for you and your horse going 'naked' lol and a releif on your bank balance (that would be very welcome for me right now lol)

No just my normal farrier, when i got him 3 yrs ago he had all 4 on but we took the backs off and he was ok to start off with but as soon as we started doing road work he got very foot sore.....i dont think my farrier was helping either....wasnt doing a great job....

Iv had my current farrier for about 2 yrs and when i first got him he was only shod up front, farrier said he really needs backs on as he went lame for 4 weeks and threw 2 absesses, his back feet were a mess...mind you his fronts werent much better......I have asked him if he'd go bare foot and he said with the amout of road work I do 'no' I dont think he'd fib to me just to make money cos he's a good bloke so im hoping he's telling me the truth.... lol

my friends horse was bare foot for ages and coped fine but then his feet started splaying at the front and wouldnt get better as she did more road work so he now too has front shoes...

I dont think my lad will ever go barefoot...not unless i stop doing road work, which isnt an option right now lol!!

I can imagine how nice it is for you and your horse going 'naked' lol and a releif on your bank balance (that would be very welcome for me right now lol)

All my riding is road work,and I mean all of it!! Would love some off road riding but no-where within miles of where I live sadly.
I have still always been barefoot though with all the horses I've had here in the last 5 years or so,ALL of them have coped with road work fine apart from my current lad.I did have one before who needed boots for gravel or very stony surfaces,but my current lad is the only one whose foot wore down quicker than it grew,which is always the basic problem with barefoot and roadwork.The point of that waffle lol,is to show that many horses can still go barefoot even when doing a lot of road work,so is still worth you considering.

I highly doubt I would have been as successful or commited to barefoot as I am with any of my horses if it weren't for my barefoot trimmer.She advises on every aspect of barefoot,and is a constant support to me,I have never found that same level of knowledge or support from a farrier.
Perhaps one day have a chat to a trimmer in your area (UKNHCP would be my first choice as a recommendation),and see if they feel your lad could go barefoot?? Never hurts to ask!!

It does sound from what you say that he would need hoof boots at least at first,but even that's not the end of the world and still cheaper than shoes!!

I always has to be personal choice of course,and you know your lad best at the end of the day,but if it's something you would like to try I would say don't give up on it just because your farrier say's he won't cope.

Your friends horse just sounds like he had flare that wasn't addressed,shame she shod just because of that as with a decent trim he would have been fine probably.

Anyway will stop hounding you lol,thanks again for the replies and you know where the 'hoof anorak' section is if you want to find out more.Just yell and I'll direct you to someone who actually know what they're talking about:wink::tongue:

All my riding is road work,and I mean all of it!! Would love some off road riding but no-where within miles of where I live sadly.
I have still always been barefoot though with all the horses I've had here in the last 5 years or so,ALL of them have coped with road work fine apart from my current lad.I did have one before who needed boots for gravel or very stony surfaces,but my current lad is the only one whose foot wore down quicker than it grew,which is always the basic problem with barefoot and roadwork.The point of that waffle lol,is to show that many horses can still go barefoot even when doing a lot of road work,so is still worth you considering.

I highly doubt I would have been as successful or commited to barefoot as I am with any of my horses if it weren't for my barefoot trimmer.She advises on every aspect of barefoot,and is a constant support to me,I have never found that same level of knowledge or support from a farrier.
Perhaps one day have a chat to a trimmer in your area (UKNHCP would be my first choice as a recommendation),and see if they feel your lad could go barefoot?? Never hurts to ask!!

It does sound from what you say that he would need hoof boots at least at first,but even that's not the end of the world and still cheaper than shoes!!

I always has to be personal choice of course,and you know your lad best at the end of the day,but if it's something you would like to try I would say don't give up on it just because your farrier say's he won't cope.

Your friends horse just sounds like he had flare that wasn't addressed,shame she shod just because of that as with a decent trim he would have been fine probably.

Anyway will stop hounding you lol,thanks again for the replies and you know where the 'hoof anorak' section is if you want to find out more.Just yell and I'll direct you to someone who actually know what they're talking about:wink::tongue:

Might be worth a shot!

As for my friend....he did just trim a few times to start off with (not my farrier) but then cos he hadnt had them done for so long they became soft and starting flaring and even having trims every 4 weeks didnt make much difference so in the end he had to have fronts and he now has my farrier who has left them on

newrider.com