Shogun/Pajero owners

Innocence

Jun 1, 2009
What problems have you experienced with them?

I'm thinking of getting one but need to know what to look out for and whether it would be worth it.

We bought one Paj/"Montero") last year... it's ancient (19) but low mileage for it's age and it ain't no oil painting either.... but we bought it to be a workhorse and it was a bargain on ebay. It towed Arthur back from Hampshire brilliantly. It smokes a bit when it first starts in the morning but after it has warmed up once it starts immediately and purrs like a kitten. I liken it to an old man who has smoked all his life..... he coughs his guts up first thing, but then is fine for the rest of the day :giggle: It's a 2.5 LWB TD automatic. We don't thrash it up them there Shropshire hills but it cruises nicely once it reaches top gear... in fact it kinda pulls so you feel yourself get pushed back in your seat momentarily when it gets over 45. For us it's fab.

Last edited:
We bought an old Pajero two years ago, 16 years old at the time. We needed it for the next day (long story) so had to get something cheap that we had ready cash for. We thought if we just ran it for a year and ditched it at the next MOT we would be ok, but actually it's gone through two MOTs without needing too much work, some work on the brakes last time I think, but pretty much what you'd expect for any old car, less maybe. The engine just seems to keep going and going, I absolutely love driving it and it pulls my trailer no problem. Saying that, I don't use it a lot because it uses so much fuel so I have another car to get to work and only use the Pajero for towing, odd jobs and the last two winters it was a godsend in the snow. Love it!

I bought a 2.5 Shogun Warrior a few months ago. Its been fantastic. Only problem was that locks froze and could not get into the blooming thing! I had to go in via boot and open door from inside. WD40 inside the locks and all ok now!

I have a towbar and hoping to get a trailer in the spring! I love it.

Older shoguns beware of chassis rot. If you are towing big horses you would be better with a 2.8. :)
Google POCUK and look at the forum. Lots of very helpful folk on there.

I've got 2 as well!! Sadly, I've got 2 because one blew up:(. To be fair, it was 16 years old and I had had it for 11 years. I absolutely loved that car.

We bought another 16 year old cheapo off ebay in a hurry as I needed another jeep. The theory was we were going to strip it for parts for mine but it turned out to be better than mine so its all pimped up and pretty now and we are using my old one for any spares:D

I personally prefer the 2.8 for towing.

Love love love them!

The only thing we've really found that was a common fault was in some imported Pajeros, they had bother with the fuel pump seals (something to do with the difference in the amount of something between Japanese fuel and here - hmm, thats pretty technical:eek:) but if you have a handy mechanic who will work for favours (I had to marry mine) the actual parts only cost £45 although to get it done professionally would have cost a few hundred:(. Just make sure the fuel pump seals have been done and you should be sorted. If you are looking at slightly newer ones that wont be a problem though. If you are buying an import, look for the date it was imported rather than getting too hung up about the age. They dont salt the roads in Japan so the undersides are like new cars when they come over compared to an equivalent Shogun which has spent its life on our roads:D

Well i went to see a 2.8 Diesel Paj today bit of tooing and frowing but got there in the end.

Had my local mechanic (who fixed my vectra) to check it over for rot on the chassis etc and the good news is that its sound as a pound.

Had the head done last year with all new seals etc. Was imported in 2003 and has been waxoyld since. Does have wear on the seats and a dent in the rear door that will push out.

So going to do a deal tomorrow hopefully!

Surprisingly only cost me an extra £50 on my insurance even though its an import!

FAB!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Here's our beast.... born in 1992, imported in 2004. She's ugly as sin but a really hard worker :biggrin:

THEBEA1.jpg

FAB!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Here's our beast.... born in 1992, imported in 2004. She's ugly as sin but a really hard worker :biggrin:

THEBEA1.jpg

I love it, i wanted a white one but got a silver one instead with a blue go faster stripe! :giggle:

I've got 2 as well!! Sadly, I've got 2 because one blew up:(. To be fair, it was 16 years old and I had had it for 11 years. I absolutely loved that car.

We bought another 16 year old cheapo off ebay in a hurry as I needed another jeep. The theory was we were going to strip it for parts for mine but it turned out to be better than mine so its all pimped up and pretty now and we are using my old one for any spares:D

I personally prefer the 2.8 for towing.

Love love love them!

The only thing we've really found that was a common fault was in some imported Pajeros, they had bother with the fuel pump seals (something to do with the difference in the amount of something between Japanese fuel and here - hmm, thats pretty technical:eek:) but if you have a handy mechanic who will work for favours (I had to marry mine) the actual parts only cost £45 although to get it done professionally would have cost a few hundred:(. Just make sure the fuel pump seals have been done and you should be sorted. If you are looking at slightly newer ones that wont be a problem though. If you are buying an import, look for the date it was imported rather than getting too hung up about the age. They dont salt the roads in Japan so the undersides are like new cars when they come over compared to an equivalent Shogun which has spent its life on our roads:D

Don't have a spare drivers seat bottom bit by any chance in good condition. lol Mine seems to have lost its puff and need to restuff it! :yellowcarded:

No because mine was gubbed too! But, my hubby took it into work and got it reupholstered (he's in the motor trade but you can get someone local to do it for you - look in the yellow pages for any upholsterer). Shouldnt be too pricey. If the material is ripped (like mine was) we used to material off one of the rear seats (we always take the 2 fold down seats out anyway so I can get my dog cage in) so things still matched :D

No its not ripped just needs a bit of stuffing!

My radio doesn't seem to tune either to numbers above 89.0, so for radio one i need 97.1 fm but my radio will not do it! Is this common?

Yep, it will be set for the Japanese frequencies. Probably as cheap to buy a cheap radio and replace it. I dont know if you can get it retuned??

An upholsterer will be able to pad your seat up for you :)

newrider.com