Shoot me, for I am a bad owner

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
I would normally hang my head in shame so much and not post about doing such a terrible thing, but I need to name and shame myself...

I have been over tightening my girth, and I did it so much this morning that my horse threw a wobbly whilst stood and whilst being ridden. :frown: I am so disappointed as I was up and out at 6am and was looking forward to it, but after the reaction and realising what I had done, I felt so bad I got off and turned him back out, serves me right eh :frown:

I have a wintec elasticated dressage girth on my treeless saddle and he has recently gone down 2 sizes, but I have been over tightening it without thinking, always using the mentality that when I get on it will loosen a bit.

Poor Sam... I will make a huge effort not to do it again Sammy Sam Sam.

Is there any other confessions out there?

I used to do the same with Joy's Aerborn elastic ended girth. Now she in a humane girth and I'm very conscious not to so it. Because I'm more careful about tightening one hole at a time on each side she doesn't blow herself up so I don't feel the subconscious need to over do it.

Oh, and a few weeks ago I learnt how to put Joy's hi viz boots on the right way so the tape ends point backwards. It'd never occurred to me before to check so I must have been getting it wrong half the time!

I used to do the same with Joy's Aerborn elastic ended girth. Now she in a humane girth and I'm very conscious not to so it. Because I'm more careful about tightening one hole at a time on each side she doesn't blow herself up so I don't feel the subconscious need to over do it.

Oh, and a few weeks ago I learnt how to put Joy's hi viz boots on the right way so the tape ends point backwards. It'd never occurred to me before to check so I must have been getting it wrong half the time!

I think I do it as its hard to tighten a girth once on board on my treeless, and I used to have slipping problems, but today if touched he shuddered..:frown:

I feel so bada:)

Same girth we've got, elasticated all the way through. We had rodeo.....but only because of a muscle tear. Luckily I wasn't on him. Is there any chance he's got something going on down there? It's quite a severe reaction to have from overtightening if you've been doing that for a while.

Same girth we've got, elasticated all the way through. We had rodeo.....but only because of a muscle tear. Luckily I wasn't on him. Is there any chance he's got something going on down there? It's quite a severe reaction to have from overtightening if you've been doing that for a while.

Oh sorry, just re read your post - no rodeo lol, sorry!

I think he is fine, I checked him out afterwards, he is sound and tracking up, no pain reaction on his back, happy to walk and trot up. Nothing going on from seeing him but will see later on. I don't think it was a massive reaction tbh, just him telling me something was wrong.

Lol just saw your post, wondered if you had read it wrong

I think I do it as its hard to tighten a girth once on board on my treeless, and I used to have slipping problems, but today if touched he shuddered..:frown:

I feel so bada:)

Another reason I don't do dressage girths, I can't adjust them when on board.

Aw at least you have found out now Nat, you wouldn't be the first person who's done it. Personally I hate girths with any form of elastic for this reason and avoid them like the plague.

I am wondering if I should have a look for a different one as well now Joosie, it just fits nice as its wider than some standard dressage ones so I thought it should be more comfortable.

Any recommendations welcome

I also need to remind myself what it should feel like when its tight enough:yellowcarded:

I recall the most stupid thing I have done was I took a novice partner out riding on some work horses on our day off. The field had 90+ horses and ponies in! they had 6 Fells. I decided to put him on Posey, the only mare fell we had as she was so safe.

Caught horses.. or we go out for a few hours up into the hills.

It was only when his mare stop for a pee and produced a willy that I realised Id caught the wrong horse :giggle: He was on Taffy, and I cant believe how well behaved he was! He is an experienced ride!

I felt a right idiot LOL ! I think in the rush and excitement Id just grabbed the nearest fell pony ! Taffy had a white star under his forelock!:wub::giggle:

plus he went very well in a snaffle !

I don't like elastic ends to be honest, an elastic centre I will use.
I have a treeless and don't trust the elastic ends. I have a few non elastic.

Any issues I get wrong with an opinionated cob I get told.

I recall the most stupid thing I have done was I took a novice partner out riding on some work horses on our day off. The field had 90+ horses and ponies in! they had 6 Fells. I decided to put him on Posey, the only mare fell we had as she was so safe.

Caught horses.. or we go out for a few hours up into the hills.

It was only when his mare stop for a pee and produced a willy that I realised Id caught the wrong horse :giggle: He was on Taffy, and I cant believe how well behaved he was! He is an experienced ride!

I felt a right idiot LOL ! I think in the rush and excitement Id just grabbed the nearest fell pony ! Taffy had a white star under his forelock!:wub::giggle:

plus he went very well in a snaffle !

Lol:giggle: Taffy was obviously a better boy than everyone thought...:wink:

newrider.com