Short Arm Syndrome!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
OK I may or may not be the only one who does this, but knowing is half the battle right :)
In walk I ride with a light even contact. In trot I try to do the same. But somewhere along the line in walk I have shortened the rein and my hands have gone forward so in effect I haven't shortened at all.
To solve that I could just let some rein out and rebend at the elbow, I do if I have caught myself doing it.
I am better than I was you could hang your small on my washing line reins, when I initially began hacking in the bit I was backing off the feel and I had none at all.
My one handed Rommel rein position does sneak in from time to time.

So my questions are, who else does this and what has helped you. Perhaps once I get confident with this feel people talk about I maybe fine. We here of the horse backing off the bit but not the rider.

I remember when I was little at the riding school they used to put a whip through your elbows behind your back so you couldnt keep throwing your hands at the horse! No idea if that would help guess it could just tip you forwards instead?

My instructor did do that since but my previous pony went backwards.

This is someone else doing it.IMG_20140926_184121.jpg
But how and why I do it I dont know.

I can so easily do this. My RI suggests that I think my elbows are attached to my hip bones by a short tether, 2-3" maximum. I always have to keep the bend in my elbows and my upper arms close to my sides.

I wonder if it's to do with hand position? It's easier to keep the elbow bend if your thumbs are on top - I'm always being told off for having my hands in "pram-pushing" position.

Guilty too. I know it happens, ,but don't notice when, so have to correct when I notice or (more usually) when RI tells me.

Eta: I wonder if it originates in an incorrect/incomplete (from a rein pov) downward transition from trot back to walk. Will try to remember to check next time I ride.

Dang, caught myself doing it today, popped saddle bags on to encourage my hands to hover above these.
It is when I shorten to trot my hands go forwards, so will give them a tap.

newrider.com