short backed pony, treeless

USpony

Jan 7, 2015
I ride my pony in a Best Friends bareback pad since my current saddles don't fit his very short back. I've been considering getting him Barefoot Cheyenne treeless (size 1), but recently read they can ride up onto the shoulders. Saddles tend to do that to him anyway. I don't want to have to use a crupper as I think it would have to be very tight to hold the saddle back. Would a none slip pad work or do I need to consider other brands of treeless that don't ride forward? Whatever saddle I buy would have to be second hand for now.

My goals with this pony are just to do what he can do, without over doing it. If I remember correctly, Notpoodle has ponies the size of mine and regularly does 14 mile rides on them. I know she worked up to that. If my pony were to ever get tired I would get off and walk with him. If you want to see pictures of Rusty they are in the Adults Who Ride Ponies section under my recent introduction. So what do you think about treeless saddles for him?

I think it would depend on your ponies conformation if a Barefoot, or Barefoot Style saddle would move forwards or not. I personally found that the Barefoot types didn't work so well on my horses with forward girth grooves, the best of that type I found for my small pony (12hh Welsh Section A) was a Torsion kids close contact saddle with stuffed pommel and cantle, I could just about get my bum in it to ride her. I now have Sensation saddles and I can use them on the little one and they work really well, no movement on any of my horses :D The one I have recently used on little one is a 17 inch seat dressage trail, it's short enough for her but big enough I can get my bum in it fine, although we are selling it to buy another model with a swell for our Connemara.

Ziggy is 14.1 isn but he is a short backed pony with a very forward girth groove. I wanted treeless for him but we struggled to find one that would fit him and me (I was over 150lb at the time, am 140 now). The Barefoot Cheyenne was the best but he really didn't like it much. I think that might have been the dressage girth, he doesn't like girths that buckle below the saddle. We ended up with a treed saddle but I still hanker after a treeless.

If you are interested in a Sensation Nickers saddlery have some really good deals on their in stock page at the moment :)

My lass is short coupled for her size. We have a Freeform SB-short base. They make a smaller one than this now.
With the Freeform you get the base for the pony and seat for you. Anyone who has ridden in my saddle is sitting on a 16.5" seat, but you can change seats to suit the rider.
We don't have a forward girth, previous lad did and we used the Dream Team c girth.
I did have issues with our BF saddle sneaking forwards on him. This was the old model and they have newer ones out now. Freeform never moved.
I have sat all sorts on my young ever changing pb and the saddle has not moved at all. I have when I flew out the door and sat on my bum but saddle stayed.

No Angel I'll have a look at the on sale Sensations. Rusty has a forward girth groove too. Maybe its a pony thing. I might be able to fit myself into a Torsion kid's saddle. I added it to the list.

Jane, horses can be so picky :rolleyes:. Who would have thought Ziggy would care where the girth buckles were. He must be opinionated like mine is.

Newforest, I like the idea of being able to get the pony base for Rusty and the seat to fit me. I've liked the Freeform since I've heard endurance riders often use them, including a Tevis winner. If they can be used for endurance then they would be great for what I'm trying to do.

newrider.com