Short mane on my show cob!!

Tina1

Jul 15, 2021
Hi, my mare (a piebald cob) rubbed part of her mane out over winter, it has grown back to about a plaiting length but has obviously grown back unevenly. I’m showing her soon and don’t know weather to level it all off, plait it or just leave it. What are your ideas?
Thank you ☺️

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
What do you show her as - a traditional coloured cob or a show cob? I'm asking because the turnout is totally different. If you're showing as a traditional coloured then you've got a problem because they should be shown with a full mane, long tail and full feather - I guess the best you could do is tidy it up as best you can but accept that you're going to lose marks, plaiting would be completely wrong. If however you're going in a show cob class then get the clippers out because you hog, take off all feather and trim the tail so it's about an inch below the hock when moving.

If you do some google searches you should get loads of pics of how different types are shown, and also rider/handler turnout.

Tina1

Jul 15, 2021
What do you show her as - a traditional coloured cob or a show cob? I'm asking because the turnout is totally different. If you're showing as a traditional coloured then you've got a problem because they should be shown with a full mane, long tail and full feather - I guess the best you could do is tidy it up as best you can but accept that you're going to lose marks, plaiting would be completely wrong. If however you're going in a show cob class then get the clippers out because you hog, take off all feather and trim the tail so it's about an inch below the hock when moving.

If you do some google searches you should get loads of pics of how different types are shown, and also rider/handler turnout.

Tina1

Jul 15, 2021

Thank you so much, I show her as a traditional coloured, so will try my best to tidy her up 😂

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I agree - tidy up but leave as much mane as possible. Such a shame to lose it altogether. Do post a pic of the end result!