Short stumpy bit of mane

Zannah

Nov 9, 2018
HI. My horse has a a beautiful long mane apart from a bit just above the withers. Where it is about 1.5 inches long for about 4 inches. Here is is thin and weedy looking. I thought it was her rug but it hasn't grown back now she is rugless. Does anyone know what this could be? It really spoils the look. I should say it is 1.5 to 2 feet long but it does gradient shorter to where its really short. So I guess that signifies she is rubbling it, I've looked for mites and can't see anything.

My mare's is the same, Its long, then follows up the line of the shoulder to the wither and is short on the wither, it is her rugs that do it, even if she is rugless in summer it just about seems to start recovering then it's time to put rugs on again :rolleyes: I do find hers is less effected by full neck rugs, it's only the standard neck where the seam on the edge seems to 'trim' the ends of the hairs off.

Thanks. I thought it was the rugs but she does wear a full neck rug in the winter and the hair hasn't grown back at all. I can see that because the mane that was accidentally trimmed when she was clipped has now merged with her mane.

Thanks. I thought it was the rugs but she does wear a full neck rug in the winter and the hair hasn't grown back at all. I can see that because the mane that was accidentally trimmed when she was clipped has now merged with her mane.
Maybe mane there just doesn't grow as long, my mini's never wear rugs and that bit is shorter than the main bulk of the mane....off to find pictures now

I would say it's the rugs as well. Even if it is a full neck that she wears pressure is still put on the base of the mane because of how the rugs are done up (if that makes sense).

All horses have shorter manes by the withers. It's protecting a more exposed bit of bone.
I guess when grazing if it were longer it would fall forwards and not be so useful in wet weather.

It won't look so obvious if you shorten the rest of the mane a bit & slightly taper it in to the shorter bit. You don't need to take it al to the length of the short bit, but even a couple of inches off can make a big difference to the overall look.

Don't think it's necessarily rubbing or rugs, if you look closely at Hogans, his is shorter there too, and he's not been rugged, and he doesn't rub.Screenshot_20190610-130931_Gallery.jpg

OMG how cute are those ponies! Any how I'll take a piccy to show you. Hers actually gets short before the withers and then starts growing again on the actual withers. It probably is the rug constantly rubbing it.

OMG how cute are those ponies! Any how I'll take a piccy to show you. Hers actually gets short before the withers and then starts growing again on the actual withers. It probably is the rug constantly rubbing it.
Ah yes in front of the withers is most likely from rugs, often even full neck ones crease up there and cause damage, tho it might be worth watching him in the field, perhaps he's reaching under a post and rail fence and that does it?

Thought of this thread today when mine came in.
This is how her mane goes naturally and it's protecting the wither area.
PicsArt_06-29-10.10.14.jpg

I tend to keep that lower part of the mane shaved off. The first 4 inches or so. Looks smarter and doesn't get caught up under the saddle or rug.

Mutual grooming can also result in mane loss.
I have only ever seen her do this once in all the time I had her.
It was really sweet and made her look more horse like as she seems indifferent to her pals most of the time!
Never waits by the gate for them but they will for her.

Reactions: Bodshi

Hi. This is the stumpy bit of mane I was talking about. I've been told its probably her itching it due to midge bites. So I have been using Biteback cream on it. Its difficult to tell if its getting better. Has anyone used the Stinky Stuff products? Its advertised on FB at the mo.

That spot being rubbed is also seen with full neck rugs, where they crease up there, maybe left over from winter or from fly rug? The only time I lost a mane there it was due to the yard having cattle hay ring feeders and the constant rubbing in one spot as he ate.

Thanks. I don't think its rugs as she hasn't worn one for ages. And it didn't start to grow back with the rugs off.

newrider.com