Shortage of Vet Meds

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Just be aware that vets are experiencing difficulty getting standard things like metacalm. I went to get some for Aimee donkey and they had ONE bottle which i got so no stock after that!

Danilon does not seem to be affected at the moment as Buddy is on that so i asked about that.

So if you have any on regular meds please order well before you need them as you may find that there are out of stock or in short supply.

If you can get a prescription it may be worth looking on line and getting a spare bottle. Also make a note of the drug name because there may well be a generic version - in fact I'm sure there is because I've used it.

Viovet certainly have it listed as in stock, and also an alternative based on the same drug.

I guess it depends on the practice, mine were always very good about not charging for prescriptions if they were having supply problems. And ultimately if there was likely to be a problem getting something I needed I'd rather pay a bit extra and have, say, a month in hand rather than suddenly find I was out and couldn't get it anywhere.

Reactions: Trewsers
Just be aware that vets are experiencing difficulty getting standard things like metacalm. I went to get some for Aimee donkey and they had ONE bottle which i got so no stock after that!

Danilon does not seem to be affected at the moment as Buddy is on that so i asked about that.

So if you have any on regular meds please order well before you need them as you may find that there are out of stock or in short supply.
Not sure on the Danilon, as I have a regular supply from the vet and last week it arrived and it was some new fangled small packets. Apparently the dosage is the same inside, it's just that it's finer and the packs smaller? When I opened it at first I assumed they had only let me have half a box but then I realised and they'd put a note inside. I would hate to run short on Danilon. Chloe really needs it now at her age (31) and Storm needs her one a day too.

I have found that it is more expensive getting a prescription and buying on line given the ridiculous charge they make for the prescription
Yes me too. But I have never found stuff particularly cheap online either. I stick with the vets, I trust them and I'm not quibbing over a few pounds either side.

Not sure on the Danilon, as I have a regular supply from the vet and last week it arrived and it was some new fangled small packets. Apparently the dosage is the same inside, it's just that it's finer and the packs smaller? When I opened it at first I assumed they had only let me have half a box but then I realised and they'd put a note inside. I would hate to run short on Danilon. Chloe really needs it now at her age (31) and Storm needs her one a day too.
I buy danilon by the full box each time for Buddy and use half a sachet a day but they did mention that it had changed its name recently and packaging

Yes me too. But I have never found stuff particularly cheap online either. I stick with the vets, I trust them and I'm not quibbing over a few pounds either side.
last time they only had the small bottle of metacalm, no one on line had the larger one and by the time i added in the prescription cost it was more expensive, at least i got the big bottle this time

Intesting on the danilon. I swapped back to it a month ago, from the equipanazone. Got a full box. No name change, i will double check now youve said, im sure box looked the same as previous. The sachets inside were normal size but i cant open them by hand at all. There like more plasticy. Ive had to cut each one open with a pair of scissors.
I need to order another box in the next couple of weeks so I'll let you know what i get given.

I saved a fortune by getting bute for Ben online. The 6 month prescription (they can only do 6 months at a time) cost about £20, and I saved over £50 per 100 sachets compared to buying direct from my vet. As we were using 2 bute per day for 3 years this was quite a saving. I used to use my prescription at 2 different online stores so I could get a years supply on one prescription. It’s a bit naughty but it worked. The downside is that I have over 150 sachets left as I hadn’t planned for him to die so soon.

Reactions: carthorse
I found that about the left over meds too @Mary Poppins , I ended up giving it to friends who I knew where getting the same drugs for horses that were getting them prescribed by a vet.

I found that about the left over meds too @Mary Poppins , I ended up giving it to friends who I knew where getting the same drugs for horses that were getting them prescribed by a vet.
Yes, I am thinking of doing the same. I have gone to give them away a few times but can’t quite bring myself too! It’s ridiculous really but I guess I need to hang onto everything connected with him.

I hope I don’t start having issues getting Prascend thru the on-line vet supply. If I have to buy it thru the vet, the price goes up $50 for a 60 count package, or 37 pounds😟. That is a lot of money. FWIW, I have never had issues with outdated product with the on-line pharmacy I use.

When the vet/dentist was here, she commented they are having problems finding quality syringes and needles. She said the products they are having to use now are nothing but junk but they have to figure out how to make them work.

I was really glad she didn’t tell me that until after she had tranq’d my horses😳😳

I hope I don’t start having issues getting Prascend thru the on-line vet supply. If I have to buy it thru the vet, the price goes up $50 for a 60 count package, or 37 pounds😟. That is a lot of money. FWIW, I have never had issues with outdated product with the on-line pharmacy I use.

When the vet/dentist was here, she commented they are having problems finding quality syringes and needles. She said the products they are having to use now are nothing but junk but they have to figure out how to make them work.

I was really glad she didn’t tell me that until after she had tranq’d my horses😳😳
Prascend that I get from the vet is about £120 a month for Chloe. I hope none of the others need it any time soon!

Intesting on the danilon. I swapped back to it a month ago, from the equipanazone. Got a full box. No name change, i will double check now youve said, im sure box looked the same as previous. The sachets inside were normal size but i cant open them by hand at all. There like more plasticy. Ive had to cut each one open with a pair of scissors.
I need to order another box in the next couple of weeks so I'll let you know what i get given.
OMg I am so glad you posted this! I was thinking I was getting weaker by the day lol I have struggled opening the Danilon for a while now. The sachets are beyond frustrating and I need scissors on them now. I wonder if they have made them thicker and lined with some kind of plastic - it looks that way when you tear one open in frustration!

• Haha
Reactions: carthorse
Yes, I am thinking of doing the same. I have gone to give them away a few times but can’t quite bring myself too! It’s ridiculous really but I guess I need to hang onto everything connected with him.

It's not ridiculous, or if it is I was equally ridiculous. And when I was ready to let go of it I found I didn't want to have money for it, I was happier either giving it away or saying please put something in a charity box. But you wait until you're ready 🤗 🤗

Ah, right, wonder if the one I got is the new version. Hmm. So long as it works I don't suppose it matters.

OMg I am so glad you posted this! I was thinking I was getting weaker by the day lol I have struggled opening the Danilon for a while now. The sachets are beyond frustrating and I need scissors on them now. I wonder if they have made them thicker and lined with some kind of plastic - it looks that way when you tear one open in frustration!
the old ones don't easily tear across, I have to use scissors on them

The old ones tore easily. Never needed scissors. I cant open these at all without scissors. I think its something to do with the plastic for sure.

The annoying thing is i now need a pair of scissors in my field box and a set in the tack room. Somedays i dont bring the boys in so i have a box near there paddock which has food, bowls, headcollars etc. I have had to put a pair of scissors in there as well now so i can open sachets.

newrider.com