Should alarm bells be ringing?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
We have been pony hunting for my little helper D, so that her parents or I can ride Jess and take her out for rides as she has been very committed and progressing well and Jess is doing much better too.
Last night we saw a mare (Jess is not good with most mares but this one seemed worth pursuing), she's a 14.1 NF cross and 26 years old and described as a school mistress. She was very sweet, the patience of a saint to fuss around, totally chilled out, and generally a sweet little mare, apparently has taught many a child to ride blah blah. Her owner got tack out and she had got a continental gag on her bridle, anyway D tried her on lead rein, she was responsive but a little 'heavy in the hand' on the lead rein, not tanky or rushing, just heavy. after a few laps of walk and trot I had her on a loose rein and D was steering and stopping her with ease and the pony did absolutely nothing to concern me at all. But that bit has me a little windy, I really wouldn't want a novice or a child riding in a gag, but surely there must be a reason they have it on her, its just nagging me and I don't know if its just me being nervous picking a pony for a kid and making things up in my mind or if I'm warranted to be nervous of why she has that bit on.........thoughts?

No :p I will text her this morning, I just think people often tell you what you want to hear on things like that, the cynic I am

Mare they just recently sold here,got her at 9 she was rising 15 this year came in a continental gag,she could be strong in company and when you met cows was terrified,little rider could only stop her with the gag. But when she turned about 13 she just really chilled out and only ever needed the snaffle,but she had come with that so they left it on her just because that's what she came in. I switched the rein to the snaffle,nobody ever noticed and mare was fine. Could it just be a case of she has needed this at some time in her life and has just been left in it as some people do just leave things as they found them?

Reactions: Jessey
Lots of the kids at our yard have all sorts of unnecessary tack - grackles, martingales, strong bits, boots. Some people see tack as fashion accessories! When I asked about Lisa's grackle, it was because the girl was getting a new bridle for her birthday and she picked one she liked the look of. Nothing to do with the pony.

Mare they just recently sold here,got her at 9 she was rising 15 this year came in a continental gag,she could be strong in company and when you met cows was terrified,little rider could only stop her with the gag. But when she turned about 13 she just really chilled out and only ever needed the snaffle,but she had come with that so they left it on her just because that's what she came in. I switched the rein to the snaffle,nobody ever noticed and mare was fine. Could it just be a case of she has needed this at some time in her life and has just been left in it as some people do just leave things as they found them?
Absolutely, that would be a fair explaination

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
I often find parents of kids and ponies either know what things or for and have a good knowledge or just get told and stick with what they are told off others. And sometimes these older ponies that have been well used to teach have started as sparky little things and often just get left in whatever they have had a good chunk of their ridden career. She sounds really sweet good luck with whatever you decide I shall look forward to updates :)

The woman is knowledgeable (she also had 2 stunning Haffies) and her hubby is a vet so I should really hope he knows better than to go with fashion! but yes I suspect she was a spritely little thing once upon a time, she certainly didn't need kicking to go, just the thought, but it was the same stopping too.

It might just be that she goes well in the bit. Mare I ride in lessons wears one and she's as dopey and gentle as they come. She doesn't need a gag at all but goes better in that than anything else.

What loop was she being ridden on on the gag? It's pretty much a snaffle anyway if you just use the big loop. Maybe they're just frugal and didn't want to buy her a new bit? Loads of horsey people aren't big spenders!

My first thought was at 26 how long is this one going to be fit and healthy to do things with.
If it's a purchase, the end decision rests at your door.

With tack if you talk to people, the horse came with it and they don't change it unless they have issues.
A gag should be used with two reins but people don't.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
She would be on loan.

I'd always like to see gags with 2 reins, but its a bit much to expect a 6 year old to learn with and physically I'm not sure she could fit 2 sets of reins in her hands.

newrider.com