Should have handled this better - not sure how

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Had a stressful hack at the weekend. Normally Raf is fine in company, in fact he is even quite ploddy when we go out with our normal companions - OH on Jack and a friend on her big rather tricky warmblood. But at the weekend another friend came with us on her young mare. The mare was being silly and Raf also went into silly mode, prancing about, trying to bite Jack and pretending to spook at everything. He had his head tucked so far into his chest my reins were practically pointless and the redundant loop kept catching around the flap of the saddle. I tried to get away from the mare by going in front which worked, but Raf walks a lot slower than the two big horses and I felt I was holding the job up.

To make things worse the friend with the warmblood hadn't been out on him for a while as he's being treated for ulcers so she was worried about his behaviour - he tends to get very stressed at the slightest thing - plus she wanted to see if there was any improvement since he'd been having the treatment so really wanted a nice steady ride.

It was nice that everyone blamed the friend on the young mare and not me, but really it's not fair to blame her for not being able to control her horse when mine was being just as daft, except that she wouldn't take the hint and try to keep her distance (but then I've a horrible feeling I may have been guilty of that in the past when I first got Raf and he was young and full of it).

As it turned out the warmblood behaved superbly, despite all the commotion, so friend was very pleased indeed and fingers crossed it was the ulcers making him so sensitive and grumpy and the treatment is making him happier.

But I wish I'd been able to control Raf better. The next day me, OH and friend on young mare went out together but this time not so much on the roads so I had more room to manoevre and I kept Raf behind the others out of the way. Jack ignores the mare, so he carried on being lovely placid Jack and by the end of the ride Raf was behaving very well and managing to tear his concentration away from her. I'm dreading the next time we all go out though, if there is a next time - I don't think friend on warmblood will do it again.

I think when you add another horse and rider to the equation it can upset the balance and the horses.
Daisy and I go out with the same friend every weekend and both our horses are well behaved with each other, both go in front or behind no problems but a couple of weeks ago friends friend came along with friends other horse and we had the three of them on their toes all trying to be the leader. My friends horse who is usually such a good boy kicked out at Daisy telling her to stay back away from his buddy, which she did, it was a rather stressful ride for all of us!

How strange, he's usually such a calm dude when you've come out with us. Do you think there's a stalliony element to his behaviour at all? Maybe being on home turf with horses he knows makes a difference there?

Poor you . Sounds like you did everything you could though. Frank and Tom can be different with different horses ( frank more so) plus there seems to be a bit of silliness in the air at the moment.

A lot of horses are a bit up for it at the moment. They don't know whether they are coming or going with the weather more than anything. I can't comment on whether it was the new horse upset the balance because I can't say I've ever had tht issue, I can ride mine out with all different horses and they will be the same and have even tagged on with strange horses that have been going the same way as me with no troubles.

But I guess it is a possibility. If you do all go again, just ask the girl if she can keep back whilst you deal with Raf as for some odd reason he feels the need to show off to them lol.

This wouldn't have bothered Ziggy, who is gelding through and through, but Mattie the Arab would have been just the same - parade ground neck, redundant reins (leave my head alone!) and bouncing. And he us normally saintly. What can it be snout Arabsxsnd mares??? Poor you but at least you know what caused it :-(

Yes he has been having quite limited turnout recently because of the state of the ground so that probably had something to do with it. As for the stalliony stuff I'm not sure. We've been out with other mares, including another young one which was a bit wound up on New Year's Day and he was ok. He does get a bit more excited with new horses but never as bad as he was at the weekend. It's really awkward as I don't want to upset friend by refusing to ride with her, especially as the reason she came out with us was to get her horse used to riding in company!

He is probably just full of the joys of spring come early.

It seems a few of us have very lively horses atm.

Don't think you have done anything wrong, it was just probably the dynamics on that day.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it is a cause not to ride with her again, you said he wasn't brilliant the following day so to me the other may was a contributor but not the only reason he acted tht way.

If he is having limited turnout then I would say that is a big factor in it then add in new horse, weather being spring like the winters etc. a lot of people are having similar issues.

newrider.com