Should I be worried?

helen.e

Jun 8, 2007
I'm just about to buy an 11 year old Dartmoor mare. She was broken late, having been a broodmare initially, and has never been shod. The quality of her hooves looks pretty good. She's turned out at night and comes in for a few hours during the day.
I rode her yesterday and we did just under 2 miles on the roads (mostly at walk) - we usually ride back across the fields but had to take the longer road route home because the ground conditions were too bad to get through, so we did a lot more roadwork than planned.
Today she is a quite footsore. No sign of heat in her hooves.
My instinct tells me we overdid the road riding and I hope we could solve the problem over time by gradually conditioning her feet, especially as the ground is so wet at the moment. Does this sound plausible?
But I am concerned as I don't want to buy a pony who might be prone to soundness problems.
Any advice much appreciated

Would you get her shod? Perhaps she just isnt coping with being barefoot. My little pony has to get shod part of the year when she gets a bit more roadwork. She's fine all winter but just needs a pair of fronts for summer.

I think you may have overdone the roadwork a little bit. Horses need a little time to get used to different surfaces. Try not too shoe her if you can avoid it.

newrider.com