Should I buy a horse now?

DelilahM

Aug 13, 2019
Hi there, I'm new to this site and returning to riding in my late 40's after not really doing very much riding for the last 20 years. I'm now living on Dartmoor and very near to a stables which has livery and wondering if I should buy a horse now, or go for a loan/share? I've never owned before, so would be learning as I go, hence using a full livery to ensure the horse would be looked after by experts and I learn as as I go.

All thoughts, views and advice are really welcome. Thanks.

In a word - no.

Start by finding a decent school and getting some lessons to get you back up to speed, and since I imagine you probably have some trekking centres near you try to use them to get some extra hours in the saddle too. Only when you feel you're riding properly again are you ready to look to buy/loan/share.

As an aside, and not as a dig at you, I always wonder why people think someone is going to be prepared to loan or share their horse with someone who wants to use it as a learning curve. Most of us spend a lot of time and money on our horses, not to mention a huge emotional involvement, so why would we want to let someone make their mistakes on ours?

Reactions: DelilahM
In a word - no.

Start by finding a decent school and getting some lessons to get you back up to speed, and since I imagine you probably have some trekking centres near you try to use them to get some extra hours in the saddle too. Only when you feel you're riding properly again are you ready to look to buy/loan/share.

As an aside, and not as a dig at you, I always wonder why people think someone is going to be prepared to loan or share their horse with someone who wants to use it as a learning curve. Most of us spend a lot of time and money on our horses, not to mention a huge emotional involvement, so why would we want to let someone make their mistakes on ours?

Thanks for your advice. I am having lessons again and will certainly be riding more once the tourist season is over. I hope I wasn't being naive by suggesting a loan/share - I wasn't a total novice when I stopped riding before - just that perhaps if there was someone in a similar position as me it might be worth considering. Certainly not looking to ruin someone else's hard work as I completely understand the investment involved.

Reactions: Huggy and carthorse
In that case keep at it because you're going about things the right way. What do the local trekking centre do with their horses once the tourist season is over, if there's one you get on with would it be possible to loan over the winter and then maybe look at buying your own in the spring? The other thing to consider is if you buy now, or enter a long term loan/share, would it be the sort of horse you'd maybe want in a year or so when you've had more hours in the saddle?

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
I wouldn't jump straight into buying from RS, there is such a huge difference between RS ponies and privately owned ones generally, A share or loan is a good stepping stone but def get to the point you feel that you can get on any of the riding school horses and crack on without too much input, and get some stable management hours under you belt too :) Talking to trekking centers about a winter loan sounds like a great idea, best of both worlds :)

Reactions: Frances144
I was 59 when I bought my first horse, I had not loaned before, but I had learnt a lot about horse management and rode at the local stables.

I went through a lot of steep learning curves, probably not helped by the fact I ended up with a rising 6, 17 hand , warmblood mare with strong opinions!

Despite many people saying I was over horsed and I wouldn't cope with her, I still have her 11 years later and love her to bits!

Key to success is having a good team around you, vet, farrier, dentist, body person and riding instructor.

I shared a pony for a year before I bought my own. I still had loads to learn, because the pony I shared was on livery and so I didn't really have a lot to do, but it increased my confidence with everyday handling and care no end.

I too had a loan before I bought. She was a horrible horse - mean and vicious, but a dream to ride. I learned the hard way about stable management and horse care, but it stood me in good stead when I bought my first. When I did get him, I had him in a small friendly yard, with plenty of people to give (sometimes unwanted) advice. I'm still there, 27 years later,on my 2nd horse, having got my first in my mid thirties. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Hi there, I'm new to this site and returning to riding in my late 40's after not really doing very much riding for the last 20 years. I'm now living on Dartmoor and very near to a stables which has livery and wondering if I should buy a horse now, or go for a loan/share? I've never owned before, so would be learning as I go, hence using a full livery to ensure the horse would be looked after by experts and I learn as as I go.

All thoughts, views and advice are really welcome. Thanks.
Hi. Forgive my replying, but you’re not that far from me. Trekking yards on Dartmoor are rapidly becoming an endangered species. I came back after a long break. 12 months at various RS, then bought our own. I learnt in the days when you worked at the local RS for rides. We learnt about horse care from the ground up, but I still had a very steep learning curve when we bought. I don’t regret a minute of it. Our first lad we lost after 5 months, that phone call from the farmer! The others had and will have a home for life. There are lots of folks who will share, even with a returner, provided you are open and honest about your experience. My sharer has been part of team Mossy for 8 years now and I don’t know what I did without her.

I jumped in with both feet, buying my first horse at 53 having only ridden twice in 30 years! We had fields but I was put off buying a horse by my memories of riding schools in the 1970s and the 'You have to be the boss' attitude which didn't suit me. Anyway I decided it was now or never and as I wasn't sure I necessarily wanted to ride much, I just wanted horses, I bought a good hardy Welsh Cob, a newly 'Broken' opinionated chestnut mare who has taught me lots:rolleyes:

As it's not fair to keep a horse alone, we had to decide whether to get a companion pony, or see if my husband like riding (He was 57 and never been on a horse) We had a couple of riding lessons and he was a natural, cantering by his 2nd lesson. So we bought a good sized horse for him and 8 years later we ride out for miles together, both horses bitless and barefoot. They've rather taken over our lives, but I wouldn't change it for anything:)

There's no point in having horses if they don't take over your life lol. Its never too late to get addicted! Some people sniff drugs to feel good - I just stick my face in his neck and inhale - all better! Oh - and welcome to NR! :)

newrider.com