Should I buy my own haylage and straw?

Ratface

Nov 20, 2007
West Yorkshire
I just wanted a bit of advice as I am not sure whether to buy straw and haylage separate or in with my livery…

I pay £30 a week which includes as much straw and haylage as I want, and my filly is in most of the time at the moment (she doesnt like going out at this time of year) but she only has a smallish net full anyway.

If I want to just have a stable it is £20 a week. The bales of haylage are £40 and the large straw bales are £18. I have a friend who is talking about going halves as she has a foal also. I worked it that the haylage and straw would last at least 6 weeks, probably more, so me an the other girl would be saving about £5 a week each minimum. Also, I have been using deep beds and so I wont be using nowhere near as much as much straw as before so that may last a lot longer than 6 weeks too.

At this time of year (if you keep it well wrapped) will the haylage stay ok?

Thanks

haylage will only stay fresh for about 5 days after opening..this is why i use small bales as one lasts me 2- 3 days,looking at what you pay i would say stay on livery haylage and straw, my straw is £1.50 a bale, you probably use 1 bale a day? ie 7 x £1.50=£10.50 , then haylage @£5 a small bale say lasts 3 days or slightly more say 2 bales a week =£10 + so thats £20... you are only paying £10 extra week at the moment...and can use aS much as you want? well do so !!!i definately would, just to add , you may save a bit on the haylage but unless you have at least 4 horses using it and sharing costs you are going to waste loads (as it will go mouldy and stinky)and probably not save any money

once haylage is exposed to the air it starts to ferment which is why you need to use it up within 5 days or so depending on the time of year.You couldn't buy a large bale of haylage and use it for 6 weeks without risking the health of your youngsters. The straw would be fine and you can buy small bales of haylage which are about £5 or £6 each roughly but as you would still use a couple of those a week it would not work out any cheaper than what you are paying now.£30 per week is cheap as it includes your haylage and straw.I am paying £55 a week but that does include hard feed as well.

But if the bale is a square on and you are only opening one end (so that end is exposed) and you are using that in slices, wouldn’t the rest which hasn’t been exposed (as you havent broken into that bit) be ok?

Is there a reason u feed haylage or just cos yard provides it? U could get the big round hay bales - that would last better if u could convert to hay.

Well it is firstly because my yard provides it but secondly, I thought it was just better for her?

Hard feed wise she just has mixed oates and chaff as recommended by the chap at the feed shop…

Oh ok was just a thought and mentioned it was we used to feed it when i worked with comp horses and in the big bales of haylage we found the quality variable and questionable so converted to big hay bales (sprayed with water) and it was very good quality. May have just been our supplier......

no -rat face once the bale is open even if you cover it up it will go off and ferment,i use small square bales and they start to turn after 4 days:rolleyes: mine dont tend to last that long unless im mixing them with hay so i dont worry...i was going to buy big bales this year as i have 3 ponies but farmer said i would waste too much and then its disposing of left over stuff in a safe way so the horses cant get too it , as eating it when its off will lead to colic etc..
just read some of your other posts and i wouldnt really be giving a foal oats- she would be best on something like hifi and a pasture mix if anything extra to her haylage alot of people dont feed foals if given enough haylage.

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant mixeed corn! I am changing her over within the next week or so anyway but didnt want to make any decisions until I had sorted the haylage thingy.

Thank you for the advice guys, will stick to the £30 all in. I am not sure that she would go for having hay - is haylage better or is it just that you need less? Would you need extra to compensate in her hard feed?

She is 7 months old btw.

Not meaning to sound rude but why does she need hard feed at 7 months? Ive never known foals so soon after weaning to be fed hard feed let alone straights like oats or corn - maybe a stud or youngstock mix but they usually get enough nutrition from roughage. If u really want to feed her hard feed maybe stick with a mainly fibre diet

Sorry if u think im talking out of turn but im quite shocked!

newrider.com