Should I call the RSPCA?

Velvet82

Jan 2, 2009
Hertfordshire
I work on a livery yard and there's a lady who keeps her horse there but never rides him. She claims she was duped into buying him because she doesn't have any horsey knowledge. She wants to sell hime because she's too scared to ride (she's a novice). She has tried to advertise him but with no luck. His feet are in a mess and haven't been shod for at least 4 months. His back feet aren't shod and are so split and cracked it's awful (I have taken photos). His front feet have obviously grown too much, the shoes are coming loose, and it's obviously causing him pain. I also found out that his teeth haven't been checked since November last year.

Should I call the RSPCA? All of the staff have tried to help her and advise her but she doesn't want to listen.

RSPCA won't really give two hoots unless the hooves are seriously long, and the horse is starving.

I mean, it is worth a try, but don't expect them to come running to your beck and call.

Keep reporting to the YO/your boss.

The fact she doesn't ride him really isn't a problem, and it has only been 8 months since his last teeth check so it isn't long overdue. The hooves are a problem though. Maybe you would have a better response of the ILPH?

If she genuinely will not take advice of more experienced fellow yard members in this situaton I would be inclined to. A visit from somebody like the RSPCA even just for a chat to advise her might just be the scare and kick up the arse she needs to realise the damage she is doing. It doesn't matter how novice you are, if he's being ridden or not theres no excuse for ignoring his basic needs, she took him on and he is her responsibility and if she does not provide it for him then theres no if's of but's its animal cruelty. I had to have a 5 year old pts last year, I'd owned him as a foal and bought him back as his owner had not had his feet seen to for atleast 3 years and aswell as other injuries his feet were in such an appaling, unrepairable condition and he was in such constant agony that he was pts. Makes me sick that people think they have the right to not provide such basic care for an animal they have chosen to take responsibility of.

Hmm, I would be careful!

My horses feet look terrible atm due to wet-dry-wet-dry conditions and galloping about on a hard field... they are due on 7th July and have had normal gap between trims but the conditions have just caused them to crack and chip :rolleyes:

TBH I would just get the farrier to trim his feet and bill her

This is a dangerous, slippery slope I would be very careful about stepping on, one I have unintentially been on before just trying to look out for a horses welfare. You'd be very lucky if you got the money out of her as really she doesn't have to pay you for something you didnt have permission to do to her horse and from how she's treating the horse and the advice she is already ignoring she doesn't really sound like a reasonable person who would just pay up, an then what about next time its due, and next time.....

What does that YO think of her behaviour and the treatment of the horse? Surely its their responsibility to ensure any horses on their yard are being cared for correctly or they have grounds to step in an get involved, kind of the whole point of a YO!!

I agree the non riding part isnt really anything to be concerned about as long as the horse is being cared for,but that is obviously startting to slip,Does the owner have any horse knowledge?? maybe you couls say to her that when your farrier comes to do your horse you could ask him to trim hers for her,just tell her aswell what he charges.MAybe she doesnt really know what to expect to pay. Or maybe she is nerveus incase the horse isnt very good with the farrier.. Not an excuse i know but if the horse is being looked after in every other way i would try help her out abit as far as the horses welfare is concerned.
I do agree that the rspca will not really bother they dont seem to be very interested,the ILPH or world welfare for horses what i think it is now called will be more help but again they will prob just advise you to try again to help her get the feet trimemd.

Yes, I agree with LadyLuxor, does she have any hoof knowledge? Does she REALISE that her horse's feet are causing him discomfort? She may just be blissfully ignorant and really grateful if you tactfully mention it to her. You could explain that having long and cracked feet will not help her to sell him - that may persuade her.

mb when farrier is out for other horses get him to do this horses hooves too? it wouldn't be that expensive. then tell the owner that hooves are done and horse is better, and mb try asking her to ride him for her and help her with advertising him for sale?

but it depends on how adequate she is...

scary! we had horse with bad hooves in BHS approved center! where i used to have horse on loan and they did nothing. i tried picking his hooves when i was there and bought stuff against thrush and for soaking, but it had t be done evry day and i was there only 3 times a week max and they wouldnt do anything at all! and he was in such pain and couldnt even stand, but they ignored it and just complained that he is always lame! so i can only wish you luck there

You have to think as well people, if the woman is a complete novice, she is probably silently begging for help! If I was her I would also be silently stuggling for fear of sounding stupid on a yard full of experienced people.

Have you actually tried asking her?

Get her on one side and have a quiet word. It might be that she has no idea that the feet are bad.

thanks for everyone's advice.

I have tried talking to her, everyone on the yard has. She claims she has no money and can't pay for the shoes and the farrier has refused to come out to shoe the horse unless he knows he will defo get the money because she has booked him in before and not paid. She doesn't have much horsey knowledge which is why everyone has tried helping her and giving her advice. The YO had a chat with her today because we also found out she's been stealing hay and feed from other liveries. I don't know what the outcome was but I really hope she sorts the horse out soon becasue it's distressing to see his feet like they are.

Could all the livery's not chip in to get his feet sorted if she cant afford to do it, just as a one off and help her get him sold for his sake, id rather pay out a couple of quid than see a horse in pain!

There have been situations where the YO has take over the care of the horse, got them sorted and then sold the horse on behalf of the owner and then taken the costs out of the sale money before handing back to owner. It has to all be written down and agreed on paper with all concerned, with all costs itemised though so no room for error/misunderstanding.

She doesn't need shoes if he's not being ridden , just a trim which is about £25 and not having the teeth checked is really not an issue, it's not even a year yet and many horses teeth do not even need attention after a year.

teeth and not riding is not the problem- feet however should be checked out. i would agree that its the YO responsibility to talk to her and ensure the wellbeing of the horses in her yard.
have you tried talking to the owner about the state of her horses feet and told her it would only cost around £20 to get them trimmed out?

You could try the RSPCA but whenever I have phoned them I have found them to be less than helpful. They seem to wait until an animal is nigh on at deaths door. However, maybe they are better in your area.

If you think the horse is suffering then you really should do something but the best option is for her to see that she needs to do something. If she can't afford the horse and can't sell him then she should give him to an animal charity. There are lots of horses needing homes at the moment but centres like the Blue Cross rarely turn someone away indefinately. I'm not sure about local horse rescue centres but she could try.

Best of luck.

I really don't think think he's an RSPCA case yet,and am fairly sure they will tell you the same TBH.

The teeth aren't an issue,I only get my horses teeth done once a year,unless I think there's a problem,I wasn't aware it was necessary,or showing a lack of care to get them done within that time frame??

As for the feet,well yes that's more likely to be causing the horse problems.As suggested by others,tell her that it is only approx £20 to get his feet trimmed,and will look better when selling him if his feet look cared for.

It sounds like she needs help and support rather than being reported to the likes of the RSPCA,who won't help anyway.
Maybe try talking to her again,but make it clear you sympathise and want to help,she might just be feeling a bit defensive as she knows she is out of her depth.Good luck:)

As you have all already spoken to her about the hooves, you could ask someone from a horse rescue charity such as WHW to come and talk to her. They won't take the horse, just give advice.It might be enough to get the owner to do something. As said, the horse does not need shoes, so to remove and trim could cost from £10 - £25, that's not an awful lot.

newrider.com