Should I change stables?

Emi

Mar 21, 2019
So I'm a bit it a pickle here. More or less I have been at this stable for over 11 years and was trained here all the way up to my current level. The horse in the picture was given to me by my old instructor to train and he has become a super lovely horse that is a bit of a bully in the canter but now he has been reintegrated into the riding school due to his progress. although it's quite selfish I really don't want to give him up cause people will ruin him (back and behaviour wise). Anyway, My problem is:
I can't ride any other horses due to my size. I'm 169m but weigh 72kg (not fat guys, I can leg press over 90kg) Now this would not be a problem if the all the horses weren't Arabians. (10% weight rule) The question is should I change stables and give up the freedom I have acquired here and risk downgrading teachers or should I stay? What would you do it the stable doesn't have the right horses but the perfect instructor?

An Arab that can't carry just over 11stone must be a sorry example of the breed. From the Endurance Riders Handbook - American Endurance Ride Conference "There are weight divisions for senior riders in endurance distances: Featherweight (up to 160 lbs.), Lightweight (161 to 185 lbs.), Mid- dleweight (186 to 210 lbs.) and Heavyweight (211 lbs. and up). These weights include tack." So at 72kg plus tack you'd only be in a lightweight class! And these horses do long distances at speed.

Is the 10% rule theirs or yours? Because quite honestly I should think most adults would struggle to be inside the 10% rule on an Arab.

At the end of the day if they have nothing else they're prepared to let you ride then you have no choice but to go elsewhere.

Reactions: Huggy
Gosh, they must lose a lot of clients if they can only accommodate people under a certain weight!

I would use this as an opportunity to learn more.
It will do you good to ride somewhere else with new instructors and it may even improve your riding.

newrider.com