Should I clip my horse or should I ask someone to do it for me?

Oct 31, 2018
Hi! I'm new here but I absolutely have no idea about horses. I have a miniature horse that is about 2 years old that I got from my aunt. I'm wondering if I should clip it myself or can I go to someone who does this professionally? Any advice? Thanks!

carthorse

Jan 6, 2006
First of all why do you want to clip him? The reasons too clip are that they're coat is too heavy for them to work comfortably - not the case for a 2yo miniature - or health reasons such as PPID which again wouldn't be an issue for a 2yo. If you don't need to clip I wouldn't.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
As @carthorse said, clipping is done to keep the horse comfortable in work and enable them to not get so sweaty and to dry easily for their health, so as a 2yo shouldn't be working I wouldn't be looking to clip really.

If you really have to, then its probably best to get a professional or someone experienced to show you how to do it the first time.

As an aside, I fully clipped my mini at the end of 2016 as he was being driven a lot and I would never do it again, he normally lives out year round rugless, but he ended up with a fleece and 2 med-heavy weight rugs on and was still chilly, nothing worked as well as his own coat and I felt terrible about it.