Should I clip my horse

Lexi 123

Sep 9, 2019
My horse doesn’t sweat that much and she hates rugs so I was thinking of leaving the rug off. she is a little bit fat from the summer grass the cold should make her lose the weight. What do you think I should do .

I think the only good reasons to clip are if a horse is getting too hot or on medical grounds. Yours doesn't fall into either category so I wouldn't clip.

I wouldn't - I don't clip or rug Hogan, I slip a rain sheet on the night before I intend riding, just so he's not getting a saddle on a wet back.

Don’t bother! I’d kill to get away with not clipping!
Jake looks like a mammoth already and is sweaty but I’m still holding off. Oz still has summer coat so he’s a way off thank god!

I wouldn't clip if I didn't have to, our Jack hasn't been clipped since he retired. However I hate to see horses being made to work hard in a full coat. Sometimes see them out hunting absolutely dripping in sweat. It must be miserable for them, plus you run the risk of them getting a chill if you turn them out on a cold day with a damp coat. But I remember as a child the RS ponies were never clipped and had big woolly coats and they seemed to survive.

If she only sweating a bit then it probably not worth clipping. If you dont ride much either then no I wouldn't.
If the horse hates rugs then no I wouldn't.

I full clipped mine one year and left the rug off to loose a few pounds and got up the yard one day after pouring rain to a quivering, shaking mess. I had to bring in to a stable that night which he hates and put 3 rugs on to get him warm.
If I clip I rug now.

If you are going to leave a rug off and you really want to clip. At most I would clip the belly and under neck. I'd leave all the body and top of neck so water can run off.

Reactions: Huggy
Mine sweat through hard work and mine live out 24/7. I do not clip. I do not rug.
Please only clip for medical reasons Not fashion or trend or because that’s what everyone else does so you should. Nature is a wonderful regulator if you leave it to do its job.

I do find with mine that if I dont wash off properly after they sweat with work that they develop rainscald. Which I consider to be one of those medical reasons. I was told that my old boy before i had him developed really bad scald which had to be treated with antibiotics.

newrider.com