should i clip?

scottishterrier

Jun 18, 2008
Scotland
Tonto..he's a typical hairy cob and although his winter coat is coming out in clumps im going over him 4 times a week with a shedding blade and its never ending. he's sweating a lot even just out in the sun but after work even light work he's soaked. i feel its making him uncomfortable.He is 14 but apart from a small local tack and turnout/dressage show he wont be doing anything showing wise this year. should/could i clip?
DSCF6660.jpg

I clipped my hairy boy afew weeks ago just down the front of his neck and it made a huge difference. He used to get really sweaty even after light work and anything else he would be dripping. :D

I had my boy clipped a couple of weeks ago, he was very hairy and although he was losing his coat a little bit he always holds onto it till really late so I wipped it all off :D He was getting sweaty just stood in the field and when we rode it took ages for him to dry and he always gets really itchy.

Had a full head and body clip but left his legs on. People were warning that he would lose his shine and it would ruin his summer coat but he is still super shiny and his summer coat will still eventually grow.

He also has some weight to lose before the spring grass really starts to come through so this should help him also.

I'll try and post a pic of him before and after later on :D

If he is sweating a lot, then I would clip him out, he will be much more comfortable, and it will make life a lot easier for you! :)

I would! He'll be muck more comfortable! I used to clip Cheyenne at this time of year because he was like a mammoth tho quite a light build of cob! His summer coat was still lovely and we still competed! Leave his lovely hairy leggies alone tho! x

yeah might try this weekend, and def leaving his legwarmers!

the trouble is his coat is just so long, he has been clipped every year but last year was left out doing nothing all autumn winter so this coat is thick and long. ive already trimmed his chinychinchin and he looks so much smarter. thanks x

I am tempted to say clip for the sake of his comfort,but if you at all concerned about his coat returning nicely then maybe don't clip!!

I only say this as someone clipped my fell at the end of december (very hairy chap like yours),and his coat is not coming back properly because of it *bangs head on wall* very annoying as I did want to show this year,and aside from that it looks awful compared to how gorgeous it should look.

So anyway the moral of my waffling story,if you think for any reason you might want him to look as he should for this summer,then perhaps re-think the clip,if not though I'm sure he would appreciate being a little less mammoth like;)

newrider.com