Should I do this? Views please

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
My youngster Charlie shares with my retired horse Mattie. They are very fond of each other but Charlie hassles Mattie mercilessly to play. When Mattie is sound I don't mind it, but he is injured at present and it doesn't help his leg to have to kick Charlie every 5 minutes. Charlie is very dominant and likes to get what he wants.

There is a new livery in the next door field to mine. She has 2 mares in one section, who disdain Charlie utterly. In the other section she has a gelding who is not old (he's about 11) but is semi-retired because of stiff hocks caused by over-jumping. His name is Tonto - he's a lovely skewbald show cob type. Apparently his recent career has been as nanny horse to a youngster herd and he is lonely in his section on his own, so I've been asked if he and Charlie could run together during the day.

I think this would be great for Charlie, particularly if Tonto would give him a bit of discipline, though I suspect that Tonto is a very easy going chap. But I know that is isn't all necessarily sweetness and light with horses sharing.

What do you all think? How would you proceed?

I'd try it, if it gives Mattie time to heal and keeps the other two company its win all around, however I'd have a think about if you plan to put Charlie and Mattie in together once Mattie is healed up so that you can let them know from the start if its a more permanent or temporary thing just while it suits you :)

I'd definitely give it a try, and once Mattie is well would it be possible to have all three in together? It may work out best for everyone s long as the owners get on too :)

I'd certainly be up for putting them all in together, Mattie is a very easygoing chap. But I think his leg is going to take a long, long time to heal.

I took your advices and the two of them are together now. They had a good old sniff and settled to grooming straight away! Looks hopeful but I hope Tonto teaches Charlie some manners...

@Jane&Ziggy the older horse usually does, though it may have to wait until he's annoyed him. I hope Mattie doesn't take as long as you think to heal, maybe now he's getting some peace and rest it will help.

Charlie and Tonto are getting on like a house on fire, on their hind legs playing at stallions and thundering to and fro. This morning Tonto came in to our section and was very much at home, he is an easygoing chap.

Mattie would very much like to be with them but he really needs to eat his nice grass. He calls now and then during the day but really must get his rest!

Does anyone have any tips at getting a cob x shires feathers gleaming white ? Xx

Attachments

• CB25A155-84CA-4426-A0CE-25495094F7D1.jpeg
    CB25A155-84CA-4426-A0CE-25495094F7D1.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 3
Not a clue, but she's gorgeous! Nice and slim too. We 've got plenty of members with hairy cobs so I'm sure someone will be able to help, I'm ashamed to say but if she was mine they'd probably be clipped off because I can't be doing with the work :hides:

ETA you may do better starting a new thread for this rather than taking this one off at a tangent,lots of our members love a beautiful hairy cob and so you'd probably get a lot more responses.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com