should I go get checked out?

sophie33

Aug 8, 2004
London
I'm dithering - so I thought I'd ask you on NR to help me make my mind up. As I posted elsewhere - last Tuesday - I fell off my share horse (ludicrously it was entirely my fault) and landed heavily on my hip. On the day it was very painful and I was hobbling around like an old woman. The next day it was a bit better, but since then there has been no improvement at all! I've assumed it was just bruised but I'm starting to wonder if I'd better check. Walking hurts and although I can stand on one leg on the injured side only with pain and difficulty. I was going to go to the stables tonight and have a little ride to decide whether it was wise to have a lesson tomorrow. But i'm starting to think I should go to Minor Injuries Unit instead. So anyone with experience of bruised hips with any advice?

Okay thanks both. I kind of asked knowing what you'd say, but I always have a fear of wasting overworked NHS staff's time! Still better safe than sorry, I'll tootle down and queue!

I bent forward a few months ago. Think i twisted awkwardly, and felt pain in my hip. Its pained me ever since. It been uncomfortable to walk on but funny enough I could still go for a run. I swear I cracked it.
You should get it checked. If you fell badly it could be badly broken and can result in needing it pinned which happened to a relative of mine. If it's just cracked there's not much they can do.

Yes definitely. I fell off a couple of years ago and landed on my hip, it was agony, went to A&E and they though I had broken it as couldn't weight bare, turned out I had torn my core muscles and it was weeks before I could walk :( They couldn't do anything but I was glad I went as at least I knew I wasn't making it worse by hobbling around :)

Reactions: sophie33
Thank you all! I did still have my lesson today but only for half an hour and very, very gently! Riding definitely hasn't helped all the same. So although I haven't gone yet I am going to go and get checked out before I ride again. I suspect I've done a much milder version of what Jessey describes. I can put some weight on my right leg but it is painful. If I'm carrying something at the same time it is very painful!! Anyway enough whining I will go to the walk in centre tomorrow and report back!

Oh fer cryin' out loud. You asked whether you should get checked out and 24 hours beforehand we told you yes and you even agreed.

So what do you do? You go and have a riding lesson.

Why do I bother? Seriously why?

Don't ask for advice from a professional - I am a nurse - and then keep going and have a riding lesson to boot.

**** now cross - you've been told ****

Reactions: carthorse
Oh fer cryin' out loud. You asked whether you should get checked out and 24 hours beforehand we told you yes and you even agreed.

So what do you do? You go and have a riding lesson.

Why do I bother? Seriously why?

Don't ask for advice from a professional - I am a nurse - and then keep going and have a riding lesson to boot.

**** now cross - you've been told ****

:oops: I know! I deserved that... sorry

All I can say is if you managed a lesson I doubt it's broken, having said that, my Mum walked about on a broken ankle for almost 2 weeks before she went to A&E, not to be recommended for sure, so you just never know.

Thanks all - I've been and got checked out. Long wait at walk in centre but it was worth it. Nothing broken - doctor thought I'd just given my bone a good bruise. But I'm glad to know I was making a fuss about nothing. I promise to follow advice I've asked for in future!

Thanks all - I've been and got checked out. Long wait at walk in centre but it was worth it. Nothing broken - doctor thought I'd just given my bone a good bruise. But I'm glad to know I was making a fuss about nothing. I promise to follow advice I've asked for in future!

Glad you are okay:)

Reactions: sophie33
newrider.com