should I start feeding concentrates?

Portia

Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
Need some advice! 5yo conne x mare is currently on adlib hay, twice daily feed on scoop hifi lite, small handfull of baileys local balancer, and a pinch of garlic. She's out to grass by day.

She looks great, coat is gleaming, she's nicely muscled and covered but not too fat, bright-eyed etc etc :) .

BUT! Sooo sluggish, seems more laid back than ever! Whilst she's never been forward going, lately she seems to not want to do anything at all - makes schooling heavy work (vary her work so she doesnt get bored). I'm wondering if this is in part in response to our gradual fitness programme? We're out more this year competing, dressage last week, this week showjumping then towards the end of the month 1st time ever out for XC.

So - do I give her some 'go-faster-nuts'? Some concerns here: 1. she's a good do'er 2: whilst has a gentle and kindly disposition, can also be nappy, in other words will starting on concentrates give us naughtiness rather than impulsion? Added to this is the new grass coming through ...

I'm not really a fan of shorts, see too many horses eating far more than they need, and know a friend who worked for one big name - she told some worrying stories of the products. Tried contacting companies but all i could hear was the hand-rub of more money coming their way :rolleyes:

Combined knowledge of New Rider required please!

Last edited:
I'm no expert but from what you say think your horse should be getting more hard feed - say 60% - 40% proportion hay to concentrates. It doesn't have to add fizz - I'd try something like pony nuts to begin with. It sounds as though your horse is lacking the engergy to work and needs additional feed.

How big is he?

I'm assuming you're a uk person, in which case I would be tempted to wait a couple of weeks and see if the spring flush of grass has any effect on her energy levels.

It's natural for horses on hay and turn out to get a bit run down at this time of year, but the change once the spring weather starts can be explosive!!

If you do decide to add some hard feed in then pick something non heating (I use spillers Horse and pony nuts) and add a small amount at a time, e.g. just add 1lb to her existing feed for the first week and see if there is any difference.

Depending on what changes you see you can then replace some of her hifi with more nuts until you reach an amount she is happy on.

Hi from my experience if she has alot of the connemara in her putting her on concentrates will do nothing! The diet you have her on sounds perfect, she is still very young as connies don't properly mature till they are 6/7 years old in mind and body!! Try making her work interesting do lots of different things with her pole work, transitions, hacking go for a good gallop with her if you can, long lining is good it encourages them to go forward. Like someone else said spring grass is on its way, warmer weather etc you will probably find thats all she needs!! Your lucky to have a laid back easy going horse and the fact she is lacking in energy is probably her feeling very at ease with life and why should i do anymore than the minimum attitude like most connies have. If you have lessons with a good instructor she/he should advise on ways of making her go forward and keeping her going !! Hope all that makes sense and might be of some help

thank you everyone !

Clarejones - that is precisely her attitude - why do more than absolutely necessary! SOO laid back though, mare having a snooze in her stable (came in early as has turned miserable here), daughter goes in, mare whickers to her and daughter sits down leaning against mare... whilst i dont condone this, it does have the awww factor big time.

Had already talked to instructor about this, she had felt we'd get naughty rather than impulsion. Think I will wait a week or two as you suggest and see how she goes. May even give her a week off (we all need a holiday now and then) - jumping will always be on another day.

newrider.com