should i stay or should i go? (long sorry!)

I have nothing constructive to say apart from a) I have that damn song in my head now! and b) big hugs to you, sounds like you're having a really hard time of it :(

Just bumping this up so you can get someone more helpful really :)

I have nothing constructive to say apart from a) I have that damn song in my head now! and b) big hugs to you, sounds like you're having a really hard time of it :(

Just bumping this up so you can get someone more helpful really :)

agree
and also stay long enough to try for your exam explain to the tester why you cant sit up straight i am sure they will understand ans as for the others on the yard keep yourself to yourself they will get overthemselfs

sorry not really helpfull
xx

Oh, poor you. I have heard of many people doing apprenticeships within the equestrian industry who aren't happy.

How long will it be until your NVQ exam? If it's not long anymore, I'd say - just try and do it. Whether you pass or not, at least you will not have that "What If" feeling that most of us would have. Most of the time, it's not the things that we did that we regret, but the things that we didn't do!

Also, can't you get a medical certificate showing your condition? If they choose not to pass you because of a medical condition, wouldn't it be discrimination???

Good luck!

Sorry to hear that things haven't gone to plan but I am really impressed with all your horse skills! Do you think you would be able to have a transfer to another stables if possible?

Sorry to hear that things haven't gone to plan but I am really impressed with all your horse skills! Do you think you would be able to have a transfer to another stables if possible?

Please don't let some snotty girls ruin a passion. I am sure it hurts to lose the friendship, we horse-lovers crave the friendship of other horse-lovers and when you lose it(especially for some stupid reason) it's hard. If you don't know whether you want to work with horses or not, do what makes you happy, but if deep down you know that you want to be a trainer see if you can't transfer. As for the test I'd bet your frame of mind has a lot to do with it. It's hard to keep your head up when you're sad. Tell the instructor about your injury and I am sure they'll understand, I would think you might get higher marks for perservering thru an obvious disadvantage!

And I might have to confront the girl spreading lies, normally standing up to someone like that takes the wind right out of their sails! Who knows, maybe she's the one hitting on the horses and she's trying to cover her a**.

You do not have to do 'Riding and Schooling' for NVQ2 there are lots of other options including exercising, care of competition horse, breeding, driving, RDA etc.

NVQ does not involve exams but your assessor will need to arrange for the verifiers to see your riding. If you cannot meet the standard owing to a health problems this can be taken into account but your assessor/instructor should also go through the other options with you.

I assume you are doing a National Apprenticeship so the college you are attached to will have someone you can go to to discuss the position on the yard if you cannot talk to your YM

PM if you want more advice . I run a training yard in conjunction with a local college and am an assessor

Hi Fluffybetty,
Make sure your NVQ assessor is aware of your physical limitations, which surely they must have to take into account. Dont give up, not at this late stage, even if you decide not to work with horses,. Talk to your assessor, they may surprise you with the support they could offer, and if they dont, at least you know....

I believe it's possible for you to ask to change the yard you train at, although I think possibly you are more tied in because of your horse being there. Could you move her somewhere cheaper with more turnout? Maybe separate from where you are training, so you are not so tied in if you do move to a different yard?

I am so sorry you're having it tough at the moment. I wish I could say or do something that would make it all better but I don't have the experience. I don't know how much longer you have to go for the NVQ but you already have something to show for the 9 months you've been there. You've got 9 months experience to offer someone. If you haven't got that much longer until you take your exam, then as hard as I know it will be, try and stick it out. Don't let some petty person who should know better get to you, they are just not worth it, sooner or later things will catch up with them. I would've have thought that an assessor should take your condition into account but I think you've already received superb advice on that aspect from people who know. I'm afraid that all I can offer you is my support, this tough time will pass, and don't give up on your dreams. It must have taken a lot of dedication and guts to get this far, so please don't give up because of someone's thoughtless actions.

Thanks everyone for their advice, I have decided to jack it all in anyway.

I am handing in my notice tomorrow. I will then be looking for livery for my horse and a proper job for me, all the fun has gone out of working with horses for me, hopefully once i'm on a new yard i will start to enjoy riding again but at the moment all i want to do is leave.

am now looking for livery in east kent - canterbury area. any recomendations would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
newrider.com