Should side saddle die?

hackedoff said:
Amen Yann (gosh I've got to stop agreeing with you people will talk) I did ask who or where these evil 'feminists' said/wrote this...........
Could I point out to all those women out there who vote, have an education, walk down the street unaccompanied, wear trousers, earn the same wage as their male peers, or even communicate with complete strangers via the internet (!)that all these privileges and more were brought to you courtesy of guess who?....I find it very depressing when women slag off feminism while lying back (ooer) and enjoying all the benefits it has brought them. Feminism is just Human Rights by another name and has nothing to do with limiting other people's choices.
*gets off soapbox*

ah - but is it about "feminism" or is it about "parity" or "equality" ?

Increasingly we don't talk about gender, disasbility etc at work, we talk about "diversity"...

Yes there are people who "earned" me the right to live the way I live, but they were earning the right for me to CHOOSE, not just for me to be told another way I HAVE to live !

they were earning the right for me to CHOOSE, not just for me to be told another way I HAVE to live !

Nobody is doing that are they? I do get concerned about this PC bashing people seem to get up to, especially in the press. Whilst a (stereotypical?) minority sometimes take things too far and rightly get pounced on, the ideas behind it actually make a big difference to a lot of peoples lives for the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yann said:
PHP:
they were earning the right for me to CHOOSE, not just for me to be told another way I HAVE to live !

Nobody is doing that are they? I do get concerned about this PC bashing people seem to get up to, especially in the press. Whilst a (stereotypical?) minority sometimes take things too far and rightly get pounced on, the ideas behind it actually make a big difference to a lot of peoples lives for the better.

Well said :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: Hiding under desk

I think I should say sorry for my flippant comment which may have annoyed some people.

Just to put into context what could not come across. I have the utmost respect for all those women who fought and sometimes died to give us the right to choose and to be viewed as equals.

Thety had more important things to fight for:
reform of the legal system, particularly the property laws relating, to married women, reform of girls’ secondary education,

the provision of higher education for women,

the expansion of occupational opportunities for middle-class women

used tactics of networking, lobbying, and publicity

- initiated the Englishwomen’s Journal, a major forum for the discussion of women’s problems
I guess why I said what I said is that there is a minority at the other extreme, one of whom is a friend (albeit annoying at times ;) ) who seems to go into one and take offense at the slightest thing. Example - a guys tries to be pleasant - holds a door, offers a seat etc. Where I see it as a nice thing to do, she finds it insulting in that she is being seen as the "weaker sex". And I know this kind of thing is a minority but its these small thing that can get out of hand such that focus on the bigger picture is lost and which yes, I inadvertantly contributed to.
Its a case of persepective - and some of the pathetic things we argue about these days put to shame the higher work that has been, and continues to be done.
Coming back to side saddles I don't think for one minute there is anything wrong with using them, man or woman, it is elegant, it is another skill, and it is of historical interest too.

Am I forgiven??? :eek:

Am I a feminist? :eek: :eek: You know I havn't a clue.

I am all for equality where it works, but I do like it when a gentleman raises his hat to you in the showring, opens a door or offers you his seat. Isn't that just good manners?

Side saddle is a wonderful art and men do ride aside, war veterans who had lost legs used to ride side saddle. I was told by one man who tried my saddle that his naughty bits got a bit bashed as he had no way of lessening the impact with both legs. :eek: :eek:

I hate women being treated with anything other than equality and respect due to any human, am I a feminist then? I'd fight tooth and nail for fair treatment if I felt that someone had been treated less than fairly

Yann said:

Yann - in theory, Wally's original post implies people have said that women should not ride sidesaddle as it was part of the old oppressive regime (my paraphrase, not Wally's words !).

So I was just clarifying my "definition" of what all those battling suffragettes won me - the right to choose. Seems a bit pointless if I am still being told what to do, just by different (female normally ) people ! :eek:

I had trouble with back and leg pain a few years ago, which meant I couldn't walk for more than 5mins without being in agony. It also stopped me riding, swimming or doing any activities that I could think of.

In a moment of inspiration I wondered whether I might be ok to ride sidesaddle and booked a lesson to give it a try.

I explained it all to the instructor and said I'd have to stop if the pain got too bad, but after a 30min lesson where all I did was walk round and try to keep a good position I hadn't had a single twinge.

I don't know what was wrong (probably postural problem) but after 3 months of lessons my pain had gone and I went back to normal riding and all my other activities.

If sidesaddles had all been burnt by feminists I'd still be hobbling around, 30 stone and completely miserable :D

As soon as my bank balance is a bit healthier I'll get myself a sidesaddle and have lessons with my own horse.

In a nutshell cvb.

The reason I ask is on another side saddle thread on another site a post was placed in the middle of a side saddle discussion implying that we should let such an out moded and symbolically oppresive mode of riding die out. It harked back to the days when women couldn't own property, or vote and were the possesions of men.

As mentioend earlier maybe we should let driving go for simiklar reasons.

Right, so we must all also stop wearing tight skirts and high heels for the same reason ?

Actually the heels things I could go for - went to an awards dinner the other week (as "staff" - it was work not pleasure !), and only had small heels on but boy did I ache the next day :eek: I'd even worn my boots with a heel on earlier in the week to try and pre-empt issues :(

MMm - what else could I stop doing cos it "oppresses" me...

WASHING UP that opresses and depresses me!
Washing, shopping (I HATE SHOPPING) cleaning, all downright oppression :D :D :D

Wally, perhaps that poster needs to lighten up a bit, side saddle is quaint and a bit of a novelty these days, nothing more.

As to high heels the choice is entirely yours, you can't ride in them though;)

Yes, all the time, then I feel really guilty because he is more concientious than me and ends up doing more than I do :eek:

Plus we have a hoover phobic collie (no idea why?) :rolleyes: who is traumatised even if outside in his kennel when you hoover (no idea how he knows you have been hoovering but creeps about the place in a traumatised manner for ages afterwards) so hoovering has to be organised carefully round here :rolleyes:

newrider.com