Should we have a health thread too?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I'm no use to anyone today after eating so many biscuits this morning I feel sick :( Need to stop and thought maybe we could have a health thread for support? Unless it's just me who needs some help at this time of year :oops:

I was doing great until my stomach bug and then had lost tonnes of weight so used that as an excuse to eat so much rubbish and now can't stop.

But it's all in the bin now and cycling later with a healthy dinner planned. Must continue tomorrow and then onwards and upwards! :D

Hope you are completely better @Ale - stomach bugs are dreadful.
I like to think I am pretty healthy, my mantra is everything in moderation. There's always room for improvement of course but I feel quite good about things on the whole. My late forties has meant though that I have changed shape. I never had a skinny figure but my waist is ahem, well I think muffin top springs to mind:p:oops:however, I do feel it's heading the right way now we've got straw lol you can't beat a good old power-muckout using it as an early morning exercise:Dlets work those waistlines ladies! Hahaa not that you need worry over that!

Hope you are completely better @Ale - stomach bugs are dreadful.
I like to think I am pretty healthy, my mantra is everything in moderation. There's always room for improvement of course but I feel quite good about things on the whole. My late forties has meant though that I have changed shape. I never had a skinny figure but my waist is ahem, well I think muffin top springs to mind:p:oops:however, I do feel it's heading the right way now we've got straw lol you can't beat a good old power-muckout using it as an early morning exercise:Dlets work those waistlines ladies! Hahaa not that you need worry over that!

It's been a pretty rough week but I've got alot to be thankful for, just being silly getting all down about nothing and eating isn't the solution!

Everything in moderation is a very good mantra! From all the pictures I've seen of you @Trewsers you always look slim but more importantly you look healthy! Glad you feel good too.

Yes I don't need to loose weight, but I need to eat the right fuel and stay hydrated and that is where I have majorly slipped up. It's no wonder my body feels so bad, I've got stomach ache and feel bloated, my skin is really dry and my lips are cracked. I've got no energy and feel so cranky, and I've done it all to myself.

Since posting this earlier I've had lots of water and done some cleaning which always makes me feel happier :p

Now I'm off to see ale so a nice brisk cycle and I've got the flat downstairs to tidy and rats to cuddle when I get back :D dinner today is a bean salad with hard boiled eggs and more water!

And I've got the rats some kale so they can join in with the health kick too!

I am trying to eat healthier, I stopped smoking about 4 years ago...maybe 5 now and I have went from 8.5 stone to almost 11 stone:eek: I have never weighed this in my life, even when I was pregnant I went up to 10.5 stone with all of them ...well except the 1st one when I literally thought i had to eat for 2 so went up to a staggering 13 stone:oops: but the weight just flew of me afterwards without even trying. So this is annoying as I can't seem to shift the weight and if i do lose a bit i put it back on again so quickly. I have been trying so hard this week and managed to loose 3 pounds..So YES i need support to get healthy.
Also I haven't been away on holiday since keeping the horses at home, 6 years!! I had enough this winter of the crap weather and have booked a 10 day holiday in a private villa in spain for July so I need to get my body looking have decent again lol (i am panicking a bit about leaving all my critters :oops:)

Reactions: Trewsers
I am trying to eat healthier, I stopped smoking about 4 years ago...maybe 5 now and I have went from 8.5 stone to almost 11 stone:eek: I have never weighed this in my life, even when I was pregnant I went up to 10.5 stone with all of them ...well except the 1st one when I literally thought i had to eat for 2 so went up to a staggering 13 stone:oops: but the weight just flew of me afterwards without even trying. So this is annoying as I can't seem to shift the weight and if i do lose a bit i put it back on again so quickly. I have been trying so hard this week and managed to loose 3 pounds..So YES i need support to get healthy.
Also I haven't been away on holiday since keeping the horses at home, 6 years!! I had enough this winter of the crap weather and have booked a 10 day holiday in a private villa in spain for July so I need to get my body looking have decent again lol (i am panicking a bit about leaving all my critters :oops:)

Oooh how lovely a villa sounds!! Hope you manage to find a good critter sitter too:Dtis always one of my major worries whenever we go back visiting down south. Fortunately I have a really super horsey neighbour who looks after ours and I just know they are in good hands:)
I stopped smoking over ten years ago, weirdly I seemed to eat less cos I was so dam miserable:p

Reactions: joellie and MrA

You might be heavier than you like but giving up smoking is a huge achievement and has probably made you far healthier already!

And if you've already lost 3lbs then you've made a great start! What better motivation than a lovely sounding and well deserved holiday :D just think all the hard work will be worth it when you are sunning yourself around a nice pool!

Oh now it’s time for me to air my dirty laundry, I am a smoker, I know it’s ridiculously bad for me and have tried to quit a few times, people are always totally surprised if they find out because in every other aspect of my life I am really healthy, I eat good healthy food, I excersise every single day ( not like you Ale ha ha) I don’t drink alcohol, have two cups of coffee a day and occasional tea, but mostly water, I’m a healthy weight but I still smoke! Bad me, although I do only have maybe five a day usually less, I just can’t seem to kick myself up the butt to quit.

Reactions: joellie and MrA
Yes except I confess my first post is going to be a thick one!

The body clock. Mine isn't set to the uk clock. If I go to bed and get up when I want to- try this with time off work, don't get sacked! I naturally get tired and naturally wake up but I would be better if I lived in the States. I am three hours out in the uk being a night owl.
So my thick question is, if I moved I would simply be right? Am I plugged into the light and lack of means I struggle more.
A wet and windy winter is playing around with my health.

Ps as for weight we don't gain that, we flood. Apparently the body is 70% water so we fill up with that and the expansion is flooding. :D
Does that sound as if I have gained weight and I don't give a fodder, what IS getting on my nerves is the comments about it. I don't care!!! There are also advantages to weight gain, shall I spell it out.;)

Last edited:
Oh now it’s time for me to air my dirty laundry, I am a smoker, I know it’s ridiculously bad for me and have tried to quit a few times, people are always totally surprised if they find out because in every other aspect of my life I am really healthy, I eat good healthy food, I excersise every single day ( not like you Ale ha ha) I don’t drink alcohol, have two cups of coffee a day and occasional tea, but mostly water, I’m a healthy weight but I still smoke! Bad me, although I do only have maybe five a day usually less, I just can’t seem to kick myself up the butt to quit.

We do not judge here :) sounds like you are doing alot right and no ones perfect haha

Reactions: Trewsers
I think a health thread is a good idea ale. @Ale.
Sadly I am a smoker. However I have been trying to reduce this. Eating wise... thats a interesting subject. I have issues with food. So eating in general is big. I tend to use my car which I shouldn't as I can bike to the yard lol

Reactions: MrA
Yes except I confess my first post is going to be a thick one!

The body clock. Mine isn't set to the uk clock. If I go to bed and get up when I want to- try this with time off work, don't get sacked! I naturally get tired and naturally wake up but I would be better if I lived in the States. I am three hours out in the uk being a night owl.
So my thick question is, if I moved I would simply be right? Am I plugged into the light and lack of means I struggle more.
A wet and windy winter is playing around with my health.

Ps as for weight we don't gain that, we flood. Apparently the body is 70% water so we fill up with that and the expansion is flooding. :D
Does that sound as if I have gained weight and I don't give a fodder, what IS getting on my nerves is the comments about it. I don't care!!! There are so Annandale to weight gain, shall I spell it out.;)

You will have to go there and try out your theory! For a holiday maybe?

People love to comment on weight and eating habits don't they, I get it all and it's incredibly rude, all the time I get people telling me I don't eat (I'd be dead) just because I'm slim.

There is a new guy at work and someone asked him what he did before, he used to be a lifeguard and so one of the ladies thought it was hilarious to ask him if he has a six pack. He's overweight and I just thought what are they trying to achieve by this? Make him feel bad because he doesn't fit the stereotype lifeguard look?

You are young and you might find as you get older you gain weight. That's what's happening to me, but after all the name calling at school for being skinny, I am now getting the you've gained from those who commented I was skinny. :rolleyes:

I used to be a size 8. I now think one leg is a size 8:p

Reactions: MrA and joellie
I wish I could eat healthily. It’s just so much easier to have biscuits or toast if I’m hungry than a piece of fruit. Especially when I’m at my desk at work, in the car or walking the dog. So much more convenient.
I don’t need to lose weight, but do need to feel less lethargic, which I think is caused by the sugar spikes.
Any recommendations for healthy snacks on the go?

Good idea @Ale :)

My weight has crept up over the last couple of years, I'd love to loose 2 stone, but more scary my hair is really thinning so I need to eat better to try and sort that out. I don't eat terribly for the most part, I'm veggie so can't buy a lot of ready meals, got to cook, but cheese sandwiches are my Achilles heel, I can't stop!

I find changing my diet/lifestyle tough though, i get hypoglycaemic, I don't know why and the docs aren't very interested and have only done a basic sugar test 2 hours after eating and say it's fine as my sugars aren't high as you'd see with diabetes (9 in 12 of my family are diabetic, and mums genetic testing shows I have a high chance of becoming diabetic) but I've borrowed mums tester and I get awful lows which then means I feel terrible and eat anything in front of me to stop the feeling, and this seems to happen in bouts, last week I'd had 2 apples for breakfast, soup and a roll for lunch and by 4pm I could barely put 1 foot in front of the other to do the horses, I ended up eating a cheese sandwich and half a box of roses chocolates to get back. That happened 4 times last week....no good for a diet.

I also have the problem of fibromyalgia and being in a lot of pain all the time, I'm desperate to run again, but there are days I'm deep breathing just to walk, so I'm at a crossroads, take loads of pain meds to run, or don't.

Banana and nothing else in your pocket when you walk the dog, or a bottle of water.
Your hunger could actually be thirst.

I do wonder if it's unhealthy to eat completely healthy. I say that because they constantly change what's good and what isn't. I recall brown bread being good.
Portion control is my favourite word. Have that bar of chocolate but buy the small one not the 250g. Your dopamine is satisfied with the small one! It's just your eyes liked the other and your brain will still insist you eat the lot.

This brings me onto a bug bear and I don't know if McColls do it in every shop. But here they have a constant display of sweets/ chocolates/ cakes at the till counter that they offer you for £1 as a special offer. It's almost got to the point where I feel like doing elsewhere because I am feed up with saying no!

Reactions: lauren123 and MrA
Banana and nothing else in your pocket when you walk the dog, or a bottle of water.
Your hunger could actually be thirst.

I do wonder if it's unhealthy to eat completely healthy. I say that because they constantly change what's good and what isn't. I recall brown bread being good.
Portion control is my favourite word. Have that bar of chocolate but buy the small one not the 250g. Your dopamine is satisfied with the small one! It's just your eyes liked the other and your brain will still insist you eat the lot.

This brings me onto a bug bear and I don't know if McColls do it in every shop. But here they have a constant display of sweets/ chocolates/ cakes at the till counter that they offer you for £1 as a special offer. It's almost got to the point where I feel like doing elsewhere because I am feed up with saying no!

My little treat is a big bar of chocolate, broken into separate chunks, stick it in the freezer in a bag and if I have an urge for something sweet I have one piece, Im very lucky I think that one piece is enough to satisfy my sweet craving, having said that I do eat quite a bit of fruit, which has A LOT of sugar in it.

I am actually quite good at resisting sweets and chocolate but our local shops all do the sweeties at the checkout 'special offers' must be a nightmare for parents with little ones in tow.

As for bread, I only buy wholemeal, I just prefer it, I don't care what the latest health scares are, I eat fruit, nuts, seeds, a little red meat, a lot of fish, eggs, oats, and stacks of veg, olive oil, milk, cream, cheese oh and butter, bread and potatoes occasionally, and see above re sweet treats. I drink coffee (two cups a day) the odd cup of tea and plenty of water (warm in the winter) BUT the biggest thing I guess for me is I eat food I like, never been a big fan of pastries, bread, potatoes or sweets.

@Star the Fell maybe a small pot of grapes or nuts or carrot sticks? Or a mix of them or even a granola bar, made in advance and stored in an airtight tin, probably much healthier to make them yourself.

Good idea @Ale :)

My weight has crept up over the last couple of years, I'd love to loose 2 stone, but more scary my hair is really thinning so I need to eat better to try and sort that out. I don't eat terribly for the most part, I'm veggie so can't buy a lot of ready meals, got to cook, but cheese sandwiches are my Achilles heel, I can't stop!

I find changing my diet/lifestyle tough though, i get hypoglycaemic, I don't know why and the docs aren't very interested and have only done a basic sugar test 2 hours after eating and say it's fine as my sugars aren't high as you'd see with diabetes (9 in 12 of my family are diabetic, and mums genetic testing shows I have a high chance of becoming diabetic) but I've borrowed mums tester and I get awful lows which then means I feel terrible and eat anything in front of me to stop the feeling, and this seems to happen in bouts, last week I'd had 2 apples for breakfast, soup and a roll for lunch and by 4pm I could barely put 1 foot in front of the other to do the horses, I ended up eating a cheese sandwich and half a box of roses chocolates to get back. That happened 4 times last week....no good for a diet.

I also have the problem of fibromyalgia and being in a lot of pain all the time, I'm desperate to run again, but there are days I'm deep breathing just to walk, so I'm at a crossroads, take loads of pain meds to run, or don't.

Oh Jessey I don't know what to suggest but just wanted to say hope your fibromyalgia settles soon, must be horrible and all consuming to be in constant pain like that. ((hugs))

newrider.com