Show gear...

random2

Alyssa(Groom, jump, RIDE)
May 7, 2000
America
expage.com
Does anyone know where I can buy some moderately priced (but not cheap) show gear??? Most specifically, a jacket. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO GET!!!! It needs to be at a place that had kid's sizes (I'm only 10.) Also, WHAT COLOR??? I am only just jumping 2' at the canter, and I am not in a hunt club, so obviously not red... Green, blue, WHAT?? I need ALL sorts of show gear tips!!! PLEASE HELP! :( :( :confused :confused :confused

No-one should wear Hunting Pink unless invited to do so by the Hunt! and it's only men that wear pink.

Kids in GB usually wear sober dark navy blue or black for jumping shows. I personally prefer ratchatcher, I think it looks smarter, but for jumping I'd go for a dark navy.

Aha

Yeah, I ride in a blue tweed jacket. But I'm going to get a new navy blue one for dressage. I personally prefer 'solid' coloured jackets for s/jumping and dressage but I'm keeping my tweed for workers. I guess it's down to what you prefer.
Random2... I would go to a few competitions and see what everyone else is wearing!

Fiona

as you are young and still growing maybe you shoudlconsider getting a second hand jacket?!
there nare always things advertised in horse magazines for good second hand stuff and more often most of the stuff is for young people like you ..
just a htought...or maybe someone can lend you a jacket?
robinsons do kids sized riding gear and ride away too i think...as well as cadeline etc..you can find them all on the internet..
http://www.robinsons.co.uk
i cant remmeber the addresses for the other sites..

Hunting "Pink" is the correct (silly) name for the red coats men wear out on the hunting field.

It is an honour bestowed by the masters and comitte to reward folk for "long service"
It's the next award up from being allowed to wear that particular hunt's collar and buttons.

That makes more sense! Thanks for explaining, Wally. I was picturing a hunting party on a beautiful green field and all of them wearing Barbie - pink. *Shudder* :D

I have 2 jackets - a black one and a tweed one. I tend to wear the tweed one in cold weather, and at small shows (it's thicker and so warmer) and I wear the black one in warmer weather and at smarter evets. I think it's a matter of preference although some shows do have a strict dress code, which personally I find a bit dozy. ;)

Basic List

In england a basic outfit for Sj would be:

black leather jodphur boots
beige Jodphurs
White Shirt
White Stock
Black/Blue Jacket
Black/Blue Riding Hat
With hairnet and Jodpur boot clips.

For Hunter classes Brown Jhodpur boots and a tweed jacket.
I am a real sticker for clothing rules and don't liek to see people wearing unsuitable things. As you are ten DONT buy leather long boots unless you are planning to do a lot of dressage children shouldn't wear them they should wear jodpur boots and please stick to sensible smart clothing never ever forget the jodpur clips you look SOOOO messy when your jodpurs run up and always put your har in a net.

Thank goodness I don't go in for all that showing buiness any more.
Dress code is one of the things putting the stops on riding being a sport for all. It is like using the horsey language to bamboozle the poor novice and make them feel small.

Why do we have such silly dress rules? It all harks back to the old Hunting days and class system, so one could decipher the class of person one might come into contact with by his dress! Farmers in Ratcatcher, but with his ribbon showing, everyone else of no importance has to tuck up their ribbon, honestly what a lot of tosh!

So long as someone has made the effort to look smart, perhaps they can only afford one jacket and pair of boots for all occasions, I don't think it should matter what they wear.

I love getting dressed up for shows! And if we keep on insisting to people that riding is a sport, not just a hobby, then we need to maintain that theme. All sports involve uniforms- even my little brother's Little League softball team has to wear baseball pants and a team shirt to play. It unites them and makes it so that no one individual stands out b/c of their clothes. Instead, you are drawn to their ability. it's the same with riding shows. You can't just let people enter wearing whatever. Heck, if you could most of the people in the US would wear jeans and a t-shirt to jump and do dressage!

Wally, I don't think that it is too make anyone feel bad. It's more to maintain the fact that riding is an organized sport. And all sports have uniforms and their own terms. Homerun, swish, slapshot, dribble, slide, serve- these are terms that people might know, but only b/c they have heard them used in the sport. Riding has its own terms too.

About the clothes, you can buy used stuff, like the jacket. Most tack stores carry used equipment. http://www.ebay.com often has hunt coats if you can go to a tack store and find your size. Visit different tack stores and the salespeople will be happy to help you. Also, check out different riding catalogues. Most people get white shirts, but I like to add a little color- I have 2 light blue ones and they look great with my navy blue coat. I prefer navy to black or green, but its really just preference. All are the basic colors. They come solid or in different pinstripes- again, preference.

You seem young enough to get away with jodphurs and paddock boots- as long as you aren't really tall for your age. Tall boots are more expensive, and when you are young, you grow out of them faster. You might already have paddock boots that you can use.

Last, if you have a freind you can borrow stuff from, do that. It's much easier of you can but things a piece at a time rather than all at once.

Good luck!

Wally, I can definately see your point. But on the same hand, I love the idea of dressing up for a show. Not that I've ever done so, but it does add some..um..prestige to the sport. It would be a real shame for people to think that riders always run around in stretch jeans and an old shirt from the barn. :D

In Austria you would be o.k. wearing white jodhpurs, black boots and a black or blue jacket in the lower classes of every discipline. We hardly wear tweed at all - you might see someone wear it in a hunter class, but it's definately unusual.

I'm not advocating jeans and T sirt for classes, but I have seen folk marked down in a class which was supposed to be judged on the horse and rider's ability just because the rider wasn't wearing the correct "left handed blivet" This is the sort of thing that puts off novices and makes folk on a limited budget shy away from competition.

If you enter a great deal of Icelandic riding competitions you can wear jeans and a T shirt and you'll not be marked down for your dress. The British and World championships are different most folk make the effort but if you cannot afford the kit you will be welcome and you and your horse's ability will be judged fairly without your dress sense being brought up.

I'm lucky, over the years I have accumulated all sorts of gear, from top hats, bowlers, black leather boots, brown ones, tweed and solid colour jackets, I can, and do look like the proverbial dog's dinner at a show, my father was in the "Blues and Royals" ( the chaps that follow the Queen about on big black horses on state occasions) and with that sort uf up bringing and attention to detail it's a hard habit to break.

But as I said before, so long as folk have made an effort to be clean and smart I don't think it matters a tinker's cuss whether tweed or black, stock or shirt and tie are worn. Long or short boots?, who cares so long as they are polished!

newrider.com