Show us your feet?

Just wondering how everyone is faring in this hot/dry weather and thought you might share some horse feet pics? :)

What is interesting though is if you walk on the grass at 5am, it is still moist. Therefore, horses who live out overnight will still be getting moisture on their feet.

I'm out between 5-6am most days and we have only had the odd day with any dew (but we haven't had rain since April and we're on sandy soil), none the less it has still been much hotter and drier than normal, I am just interested to see how feet are faring.

My two are living out but still getting Kevin Bacon'd 2 or 3 times a week. Farrier came last Friday and said he could tell I've been doing it. Jack is shoeless and his are cracked and missing chunks around the edges. Gracie is fully shod and hers are faring better. Interestingly, the paddocks Jack has been in are a lot more yellow and dry than the one Gracie is in so that has a bearing on the moisture content of their hooves.

Reactions: Jessey
I'll get some tomorrow, if I remember.
Belles are dry and rock hard right now. Like you we've not had dewy mornings and I'm up at 5.30. I honestly can't remember the last time it rained here. Our grass such as it is is just brown and crunchy underfoot.

Will get some later. Zi's are looking good, he's doing grand without shoes and even less ginger now on the gravel. They were trimmed last week so nice an neat! We haven't had loads of rain here either but of course our grass is still green and pretty lush, I'll take pics.

I don't have any pics but I know a few of the live out horses have very dry feet at the moment. Jack seems ok, but I rubbed in lots of aqueous cream over hoof, heel and sole at the weekend, just in case. Raf is ok too but he comes in at night, although obviously there isn't any moisture in his stable either.

Do I need to get some grease of some kind? I'm never sure whether it's better to use an oil based substance or just good old aqueous cream.

I don't put anything on my lot (not on the walls, treating thrush in the bad months is a different kettle of fish), I'm quite interested to see if there is difference between those who do and those who don't :)

Thick wall yellow soles underneath. I don't put anything on but she does get rinsed off after work so they do get regular moisture I guess.
This is our badly chipped one four weeks on.
PicsArt_07-23-06.24.22.jpg

The field looks like this
PicsArt_07-23-06.26.30.jpg
But she also gets to nibble this- if I'm weeding/ picnicking.
PicsArt_07-23-06.28.58.jpg

I don't add any moisture to my boys feet and both seem to be doing well, the get them picked out every day. My fields are really hard and dry. What I have noticed is they are growing a lot quicker, but then I have notice my hair and nails are growing a lot quicker than normal. I will try and get a pic of the boys feet tomorrow.

What I have noticed is they are growing a lot quicker, but then I have notice my hair and nails are growing a lot quicker than normal.

Yes I’ve noticed this too, in fact I’ve booked Raf in for 5 weeks with the farrier instead of 6 this time, I can put it back a week if they do a sudden slow down. I hadn’t made the connection with my own hair and nails but yes, that’s happening too - in fact my hair has got so long all of a sudden that I’ve even had dreams about it! I think it’s because it felt a bit weird and abnormal when I realised how much it had grown :eek:

Reactions: joellie and Jessey
Funny that, I noticed this morning whilst I was putting on a bit of varnish that my finger nails have grown rapidly this week. Also feeling strong rather than looking like they are splitting.

Reactions: joellie
I use silver feet on them twice daily. Really pleased with them, rock hard! Little but chipped but my trimmer said not to worry about that. He's grown a false sole so the underneath doesn't look pretty but keeping him comfy! Be interested in your opinions of them? Not great photos though!Screenshot_2018-07-24-07-40-26_1.jpg Screenshot_2018-07-24-07-40-00_1.jpg

Reactions: Jessey and joellie
Doh, I forgot again, farrier has just been, asked me what I’ve been doing to them because they look great given the weather we’re having, er nothing, no oil, no cream, nothing, I’m convinced it’s the supplement we’ve been using for I’ve a year now.
He did really struggle with the nippers though, they are really rock hard.

Reactions: Jessey and joellie
@Ale I think his feet are looking great. I can remember what they looked like when you first got the shoes off and his feet are looking a hundred times better . I can see some recent-ish? event lines but still his feet look great. :D

@Ale I think his feet are looking great. I can remember what they looked like when you first got the shoes off and his feet are looking a hundred times better . I can see some recent-ish? event lines but still his feet look great. :D
I was trying to find a before picture but can't at the moment, they do look so much better than that! I'm a little stumped as to why he keeps developing event lines if anyone has any ideas, he's never on lush grazing and never has a pulse or heat or anything...

My EP was really pleased with Pete's feet - because she's 85 miles away, he's on a 12 to 13 week trimming cycle and her comment on Saturday was 'His feet look better in this weather than someof my clients I see 6 weekly!'.

I'll take photo's tonight :)

newrider.com