Showing a clipped horse who grows different colours

Spiggly

Want my own Spiggly Pig
Dec 11, 2006
Somewhere hot and sunny!
Hoss has not yet lost his winter coat. His summer coat is black, and his winter coat a chocolate brown with tan-like hair underneath.

He also hates clipping, so when he was clipped he wouldnt stand still, making his clip lines a bit ragged. Now, with the strange colours going on, this looks worse.

There is a local show next week which might do him good to go into some inhand classes on his own, but we can hardly do well in turnout with him looking like he has gone through a hedge. He is a native-type with a big mane that could never be plaited.

Any suggestions on what we could do to make him more presentable?

There's not a vast amount you can do about it really.

A lot of grooming and a bath might do the trick. You could also try Champion Tails Maximum Effect. It's a wash in, wash out hair dye specially formulated for horses. It might be enough to blend everything in.

http://www.equestrianclearance.com/weatherbeeta/champion_tails_shampoos_conditioners/index.html

If you had a bit more time I would suggest Megatek Rebuilder - 2oz in a 1litre spray bottle topped up with water - encourages the coat through. :)

clip him comletely out? and then just let his summer coat work its way through. then at least he will be all one colour. all the polo ponies where i used to work were clipped all summer helps avoid getting to hot especially good for natives with big furry coats!

Would say the only thing you can do is get grooming, quick! Rubber curry comb and a grooming block should make him look better if you work hard. Also make sure he is rugged well, have a few rugs on him at all times - if anything else, it will ensure his coat is lying flat.

Even if his coat is ragged, you could take him anyway - if it's only a local show, it'll be good experience for him, so next time, when his summer coat is through, you'll stand a good chance.

I am in your postition and you just have to wait it out.

Why not next year sedate him and take it all off in his last clip of the year and you will avoid this. I will be doing that next year I just dont need to sedate Kia for clipping:)

Nikki xxx

newrider.com