Showing a coloured cob

clareob

Jul 12, 2009
Hey, im just wondering if any one could give my any more tips.:) I own a black and white coloured gelding cob, he has to full white ears and one and half blue eyes (wierd i know). He has a hogged mane, pulled tail and clipped feathers so he is shown as a show cob. I show him in a black gp saddle with no numnah or saddle cloth with a black leather girth. He has a thick flat noseband bridle and is shown in a pelham with double reins. I wear a black velvet hat with cream leather strap, tweed jacket,white shirt. tie, beige jods,black long boots and a show cane! I have been place high in ridden cob but never got placed 1st just 2nd and 3rd and would like to get that red ribbon! i show him under ridden coloured but if there is a finer coloured in there it is always placed higher! im just wondering if there are any tips in general to help me get placed higher,,,,, thanks for your help :) x

In this weeks H&H, look at the picture of The Humdinger, and attempt to copy his turnout and presentation - they are top of the coloured cob game so a good one to emulate!

Does he give a good ride to the judge? That will make or break your class.

Or do you have a picture, so that we can offer any better advice?? Off the top of my head, from your description, turnout wise I would swap the black for a navy hat, the white shirt for a cream one. A nice bright tie, a red ir orange depending on overcheck on the tweed, eyecatching and professional.

I hope these show up :)
home.php

home.php

home.php

home.php

thank you, and yes he always does a good show and if anything that always helps us go higher. We do a figure of 8 at both trot and canter, show an extension and do a bit of walk =] x

I think he would look better with you wearing long black boots. A thick, flat noseband - around 1.5''? He ideally wants to be hogged about a week before the shows for best effect, and practice hogging in a gradual arc, rather than just flush with the neck, to create the effect of more crest and topline. Lose the blue saddlecloth for showing. ETA his tail wants to be just a couple of inches below his hocks, otherwise it seems to pull his croup down. And can you clip/trim the hair inside his ears?

Don't take it the wrong way, but he's not a massively typey cob, it might not just be that the horses beating you are lighter but they might be better examples of their type than he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
lots of them photos are old. The ones of me wearing long black boots :) i have lost the blue saddlecloth (that was my first ever show) he is always trimmed everyweek before a show and we have sorted his tails out. The latest photos of him are me with the tweed jacket,long boots, hogged up etc no saddlecloth. And you dont think hes a typey cob! wow. lots of people thinks he's a very heavy cob but i've never really liked that i've always wanted him to be lighter but he is a heavy weight cob =S. he doesn't act like your typical cob though thats for sure! thanks for your advice anyway! it will defo be done before sunday which is when my next show is! x

And you dont think hes a typey cob! wow.

He's heavy, but he's not a typey show cob. Which is what you asked. About showing. A cob. :)

ETA maybe edit your links, as none of the photos show the show gear you describe?

Last edited by a moderator:
o ritey sorry my bad. i only show him at local levels anyway i just wanted to know how i could get placed in the higer zone more often! :) x

Agree with SFSm especially about the Humdinger, lovely cob,

How big is he, size is a big factor in show cob classes too

Those links dont work. Best way is to upload the pics onto photobucket or start an album on here and upload them. Its then easy to put the pics in the thread.

oo rite i hadnt learnt how to stick pics on... newbie lol. might try that thanks i should have some uploaded soon then! :)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

these are the most recent showing pictures,,, thanks for helpin me get them up here :)

Last edited:
You need a thicker noseband and browband - you say in your OP he has a thick noseband bridle but unless it's a different one than in the pictures, it's really not that thick?

Brown leather gloves.

Spurs and garter straps.

He probably looks a little small in some company, and as already mentioned, not an overly typey cob but no reason he shouldn't win locally if you tweak your turnout and make sure he goes the best in the class.

Do you do coloured classes too or just cobs?

ETA - These are my bridles, nosebands found after lots and lots of searcing through tack shops and stalls!

Luke's - he has a finer head than your boy.
2n7mtdc.jpg

And Harvey - I had a hell of a job finding a noseband big enough for his big head. I think a similar size would look nice on yours.
w2fsrt.jpg

Sorry about the dazed expression.

Also as mentioned, The Humdinger and So Smart are good ones to have a look at. :)

Last edited:
awww there gorgeous. Yes i have bought a new bridle since then and the noseband is twice that thickness as the day before that show i fell off and snapped my usaul bridle so that was a friends :S that you for your advice but i've never been told not to wear them but i havent turned 16 yet (not long though) and was recently told you shouldn't wear long boots but to be honset i cant ride in short boots and had an incident that made my ankle weak and longer boots support it better! Do you think that is ok?

Thanks for your advice so far!

newrider.com