showing clinics in Essex/herts

wibble

Feb 8, 2006
Herts/Essex border
I have decided that having never showed before it might be an idea to attend a showing clinic. The trouble is I cannot find one in my area, they all seem to be a good 4 hours drive (in the horsebox) away. Does anyone know of any showing clinics coming up in Essex/herts/south cambs or south suffolk?

My RI is a dressage bod and no-one else I know is into showing at all so cannot give me any tips. Although I have been given some great tips on here it is not the same as having a lesson with someone who can see me ride etc and tell me where I am going wrong!! I have also looked for books on cob showing and all I can find are ones on working hunters and M+M.

Lastly does anyone know anyone who will come out and clip my cob for a fee. I clipped her at the end of last year apart from her legs so she just needs hers legs and mane doing mainly but my skills are so bad :eek:I don't want to risk it looking terrible all summer

you may find some clinics on the BSPS website although they wont be aimed at cobs specifically but will give you a bit of an insight into way of going etiquette etc http://www.britishshowhorse.org/ may also have some. You could ask at your local riding clubs if they are running any they do sometimes or even ask them to do one!! Organise one yourself with a local listed judge youll find the lists on the sites!!!

I have tried the local riding clubs with no success but have e-mailed a judge off tyhe website you recommended so fingers crossed they will come back! Unless of course anyone here who knows what they are talking about fancies a trip to Essex to give advice in person!!!

List of Braintree shows would be great thanks:D

I got an e-mail back recommending someone in Dunmow who runs clinics etc so I will give her a call tonight.

Still not having muc luck with finding someone who clips I must pop into the local tack shop to check the adverts

Just a quick Update,We are going to see a show judge on 4th May for some advise on showing and to see whether my horsee would be too wide for a sidesaddle so we could have a go at that too.

:D

Just a quick Update,We are going to see a show judge on 4th May for some advise on showing and to see whether my horsee would be too wide for a sidesaddle so we could have a go at that too.

:D

Thats great ,I hope you enjoy it and put it to excellent use do let us know how it goes and hope you can pass a few good tips on!:D ...with pics pleeeese!!;)

Braintree Riding Club do some clinics. Have a look on their website. They really encourage people to get started with showing, dressage and showjumping. My friend has just joined with her youngster and says it is very friendly and people aren't too cliquey. ;)

Lynn Russell runs showing classes at her yard which is just round the M25 from you (near guildford & down some little lanes - thank god for sat nav!!). The OH went to one 2/3 years ago & a friend went earlier this year (made the trek from Yorkshire for it!) & both thought them very good.

If your of a sensitive nature they may not be for you though - apparently she's quite 'direct' and has a choice vocabulary :)

newrider.com