Showing double bridles

TBminx

Mar 22, 2013
I have always said I prefer minimal tack etc and we have always ridden our two in plain snaffles etc yet are often up against people using double bridles in the racehorse to ridinghorse classes.

You are not allowed double bridles in the retraining class but now Murphy is only allowed in the open as he won the retraining league and the novice league with me last May and double bridles are allowed in the open class.

They are also allowed in the trained but not raced class which is Jeannie's class and the gorgeous gelding who wins it usually (he was 3rd sun when Jeannie won which made me extra proud of her cos he is amazing) is in a double bridle and the champion overall was in one too.

I am now considering one just for showing as it definately would help and make it easier for me but also Im thinking it might give us more control.

Any advice on this, what to get etc?

They are currently in kk sprengers with lozenge centre.

We generally show ours for there first season of ROR Hickstead/Windsor qualifiers in their snaffles, aiming to go up to a double in time for the final.

If your basic retraining is correct adding a curb to the bridoon is not a problem generally but the judge ride may be. We ride with virtually no curb contact but lots of ride judges will take up a strong contact. If your horse likes a loose ring snaffle get a bridoon in the same pattern and add a sliding cheek curb, other wise use a fixed cheek bridoon with a fixed cheek curb. If you have a horse with a particularly difficult mouth you may get away a pelham with a lozenge mouthpiece which really gives very little curb effect but looks more 'dressed' ....be aware that lots of judges really do not like the feel of them though so you may be better sticking to your snaffle.

In any case use an elastic curb and be prepared to loosen it right off if the judge looks heavy handed!!!

Do you do national qualifiers ( TATTERSALLS IRELAND WARD UNION SHOW is the only ROR qualifier in Ireland as far as I know??) if not just go with what local judges seem to like.

No this is just in our r2r association and nothing that high brow :giggle:

I would pee my pants :redface:

Im still confused sorry. They arent difficult in their mouths or overally sensitive and its not for the appearance but more the effect it achieves and my RI recently suggested it so looking into it and thinking put it on my xmas list :wink:

They both do not like harsh hands however but the judges who ride at the r2r shows are usually very good that way. So to clarify do you think the double is better than the pelham? I thought the latter maybe as less in their mouths??

A double is far better than a pelham but you do need to be taught to ride in one correctly.

A bit like spurs it is not for improving control but refinement, the bridoon raises the head the curb lowers basically.Pelhams are an uneasy compromise. We only use them in older/more experienced horses that are not happy with doubles.

We start people riding in a snaffle with two reins, progress to a pelham and only when they can use the reins independently let them use a double.

If your judges all have really good independent hands you are lucky . We are very fussy who we have as ride judges on ours and would never have a non panel ( ie tested and approved by top class people) ride one of ours...and not even all of them!!

Yes its ususally the few same ones who ride at the assoc shows which is good :biggrin:

I am confused now as my RI who has also ridden my two alot suggested hacking for a few weeks in a rugby pelham with double bridle as horses both very fleshy and not alot of room in mouths and for other reasons then can go to double bitting if need to :unsure:

A lot of people show in a Rugby Pelham but it is mainly for the look not to improve the action/feel. Not met a TB with a very fleshy mouth yet but had one that was very short in the mouth and we stuck to a snaffle with her.

newrider.com