Showing foreign breeds

I

*IcyRider*

Hia everyone,

I want to have ago at shwoing my Icys in the normal world.Just for abit of fun.Are there clasess for foreign breeds.Or what normal clasess could i show them in.

I think foreign breed classes are quite rare (round here anyway) which is a shame. In hand classes round here you could do would be Best condition, best non-native, ridden you could do PC pony, family pony (would have thought an Icy would be perfect for those classes!) Then the duns could do coloured including dun, both in hand and ridden.

Forget it, you'll get the usual, "your horse has hurt his back" "Your horse is lame" comments and the ignorant so and so's will tell you how to cure him from tölting!

The last BHS instructor I has was nearly strangled!

I usually show my Haflinger in Mountain & Moorland classes (when we're not at the Haflinger shows themselves!), although I was once marked down for what the judge thought was an overwieght Section D! Also when he was younger we used to do yearling, 2-y-o, as they are not usually so specific. . Now, apart from M&M, we do palomino, colored, and anything else like Bonny Pony that we think we can get away with!!

You can't put a Haflinger into a Palomino class, they are not Palomino they are Chestnut.

There will be haflinger breeders biting holes in their teacups if they read that!

At least you got mistaken for a fat Welsh D....is that better than being called a "weedy Highland" ? :eek:

lol yes i took Sól to a clear round once and i was asked to leave...my horse was "lame" she did the entire course in fast tolt!

You can't expect judges to have experience of every breed from every part of the world (unfortunately). Perhaps talking to the judge to explain the pace might be the best way to avoid embarrasement.

At most shows you won't be able to do mountain and moorland classes as these are for the British native ponies (ie those that live on our mountains and moorlands).

I'd look at doing things like family pony, pc/rc pony, equitation, turnout etc

Yeh they always seem to stare at the Icy's then kick us out the ring for being lame!

It would be pointless trying to do a family ponie as my lot are not family ponies.There more of a "stick your child on if you want it to die" kinda horses.

I wouldnt call them the pc/rc type ither!Ahhh mabey i should just not bother and keep to what we do best!

However turnout we may do ok at.But not much point going to a show to do just a turnout class!

Hmmm jumpings out the question.Looks like im out of luck with normal showing!

I wouldn't even bother doing a turnout class if I was you! Your tack isn't exactly the showing norm and the horses are a bit fuzzy around the edges. You wouldn't get a look in!

I've told you before showing is never going to happen with the Icelandics for lots of reasons! Just stick to what you're doing, get something on loan if you want to show that badly.

The only way for instructors and judges to gain experience is to ask what they are looking at and not chuck you out of the ring for tölting.

The last instructor I had in the indoors school asked me to trot on with my horse, and as Iceyrider has mentioned with some pacey, tölty horses the only way you can get it is on a corner in a jumping position throwing your reins at them. Fákur can trot, but he can only do it if you set hom up right and help him every inch of the way and then he can only keep it up for one circuit beofer he drops back into a tölty thing. It took me abut 4 goes, and he knows he is not allowed to carry on around the school piggy pacing, so if he paces we come back and try in the next available corner.

This instructor was rude and dismissive, asked "does your horse trot on the lunge?" of course not, a small circle is the most difficult for him to trot......."then he never will"
c002.gif
c002.gif
On the next corer he picked up the trot and did a circuit in a lovelly regular trot!
e106.gif

If they keep chucking us out of classes and walking off with totally flawed and bogus comments like that how are they going to learn??? Perhaps it's just me......I go and grab folk when I see something I don't know about and ask them and find out. I spent a great 30 minutes learning all about Highlands Garrans and stag/Pack saddles etc.

I have never been to a show so excuse my ignorance but that sounds so silly to me. If the show is about movement etc I can understand that icelandics might not get placed as high as others, but asking them to leave? come on.
And ok, judges can't know every breed int his world, but most people have heard of toelting horses, even if they have never seen one? If I had an icelandic at a show, I think I'd try and talk to the judge,even if I then didn't get placed.

The other thing I find weird about showing M&M is they don't allow Eriskays. These classes are for british natives, no? Eriskay looks roughly the same as the highlands, just flatter, so why are highland ponies, M&M and Eriskay ponies aren't? It's not like they are a foreign breed....

What gets to me is alot of the time the Icy's move better than a normal horse!Sóls ground clearence in trot is 2ft!

I took her to college when i was there for a lesson with the rest of the girls on my course.It was a nightmare from start to finish.Sól can be abit funny sometimes in new places and she dosent like normal horses.Anyway she was being a cow and getting herself all worked up.And when she does this you have to spend the enitre time your riding in a very still postion and try not to disturb her just keep everything cool calm and very quiet so she settles down.

Well she was being really difficult we were in small outdoor school with about 6-7 other horses.Anyway the so called instructor asked us all to trot...now when Sóls all whizzed up and being difficult she will never trot.So i had her tolting round the school the instructor shouted at me and said "what the hell is your horse doing".I did try to explain but it was no good.So in the end she made me go to the top end of the school work her in a circle (which when shes wound up you do not do)! And wanted me to trot her...she wouldnt!So i ended up having my "instructor" screaming at me to trot.So with a new place, horses she dosent know and some silly women screaming at her.My poor girly worked herself up into a complete state.

I tried to explain to my "instructor" about Tolt and how Sól was getting upset so could she please not shout but stay very calm.Ha! My instructor turned round to me and said "your horse is f**ked up and i can see why your riding is the way itis"!

My god i was so close to jumping off Sól handing the reins and saying you bloody ride her then and see if you can control her better than me!I love my horse to much to do that to her though.

I felt very insulted and very hurt.They new i had Icy's and that they have different gaits! I made it very clear she's not like 1 of there horrid plod alongs! Now if that had been me teaching that lesson i would looked up about Icelandic's tried to get some basic know how on there gaits.

I was told never to bring her to college again!

Sorry to all you normal horsey people on here but there are alot of very nasty people around who are not or mabey do not have the abillity to understand or teach.I was there to have a lesson not be told my horse was f**ked up and i couldnt ride.I did point out afterwards to her that if i couldnt ride why isit i was on the britsh youth team and had competed in Austria and came 6th out god knows how many!

What got to me is that i watched my instructor in a jumping lesson in which she fell off 8 times!

I have to say this really has put me off the normal horse world now.Id love to have ago at showing them but people dont seem willing to learn or know about new things.

Its a pity.

After that lesson i didnt ride for 6 weeks it just knocked my confidence in my riding so much! When i first got Sól i had to have my parents on ither side of holding onto her.Ive only ever done 3 courses on her so pretty much everything ive done with her has been my own hard work.To have someone say that about you and your horse is a real knock on the old confidence.

So perhaps i will steer clear of anything to do with the normal horsey world!

Ive been placed last in a showing class because my totally UN-lame Haflinger's trot 'looked stiff/lame ' acc to the judge. Looking at the vid afterwards, she looked like any fast trotting haffie should! I even got the vet out to check her next day - not lame!! It really put me off showing! probably a good thing as we like our non-showing life!

I really agree about Eriskays though, they are so endangered and completely accepted to be one of the most ancient UK M&M breeds, how on earth are they going to increase in numbers if they arent allowed in M&M classes? OK theres not many around so wont get many of them entered but at least list them in the eligible breeds in the schedule and over time there might be more!

Eriskays DO NOT look like small Highlands - pet hate of mine when people say that. Agree that an Icelandic would be difficult to show in anything other than novelty classes.

What got to me is that i watched my instructor in a jumping lesson in which she fell off 8 times!

That particular instructor was a joke though Doops. She taught me once on my Rodeo Cob and suggested that to prevent him bucking I should let my reins get longer.. And longer.. And longer.. Eventually I was cantering him around on the buckle with his head between his knees and guess what happened? Rodeo fit all the way down the long side of the indoor with a very bemused fat cow of an instructor stood in the middle going "Oh.." whilst I tried to calm Rodeo Cob down again. It obviously didn't occur to her that he was being ridden in a Sam Marsh for a reason. :rolleyes:

yes tis true she was a bloody idiot!Grr and novelty clasess? what do you mean by novelty?

yes novelty classes are fun classes think handsomest gelding, bushiest tail, judge would like to take home, best plait etc (ok probs not real classes but sum up what is meant)

with regard to M&M, they are not always restricted to British breeds, and it is worth ringing up the organisers to ask. I have done this with my Haffie, and pointed out that this is a classic mountain breed, and have been allowed to enter some very highly rated (although still only local/county level ) shows. So ask, and gradually we might get more and more accepted. Unless it says British breeds only on the schedule, try for it!

I must admit if I am going to a show I like to do lots of classes, and at one of our local shows my Shetland does every single in-hand class - Colored, M&M, Junior Handler, Veteran, Bonny pony.

Also I was told by a keen palomino show person that the only reason my Haffie might not be eligible was the fact that he had colored hairs in his tail, but we entered some local classes anyway!!:)

You may get away with showing a Haffy at local shows but you would need to check with organisers and the judge should also be aware that the organisers are allowing a Haffy to enter. I'd be pretty annoyed if I was judging a M&M class and a Hafffy was there - I have no idea about their breed standard so would not be able to judge fairly.

At proper county shows they would not be elligible as most are run under NPS rules.

newrider.com