Showing in a Rugby Pelham... or not?

Bessy

Jun 20, 2005
Wilts & Glos
Helped a friend at the weekend who was doing a bit of showing, and the judge remarked that her Rugby Pelham was not really used in the show ring anymore, and she should show in a double bridle, or a standard Pelham.

This has confused me a little as I plan on doing some local showing this summer and have an old Rugy Pelham which I was going to use:confused:. When I have been a spectator in the past at the shows I am entering this year, every competitor has ridden in a double bridle or pelham with 2 reins. I know I can show in a snaffle, but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb, so if my Rugby Pelham is not considered "desirable" by the judges what type of Pelham can I use which is nice and mild ?

It's more of a preference - some judges don't like them, others won't really take much notice if the horse is going okay.

They can look cluttered (more so than a double) and they are rarely fitted with a sliphead which they're supposed to be as they are basically a 'fake' double.

You can try finding a 'show' pelham which is neater or just a normal pelham. They all come in a variety of mouthpieces so you're bound to find one that is suitable for your ned. Just be aware that if he is in a jointed snaffle, going for a jointed pelham doesn't mean he'll get on with it and there is a school of thought that says a jointed pelham is pointless as you lose the action it was designed for :)

If you have a rugby already, I'd just use it - finding a judge that penalises because of using it is rare. Also, depending on the class you might be better using a snaffle - a horse that is going correctly and nicely in a snafffle is better than a horse doing a camel impression in a pelham/double :)

I hate them!! Too bulk & not as elegant as a weymouth set.

I chose to ride my 5yearold in a show pelham - much neater, for open classes.

Go for a show pelham if horse has a head that can do 'less cluttered'. I had a welsh C who we showed at county level, and he didn't have the space nor me the finesse then to deal with 2 bits, but the extra headslip on a rugby pelham was complimentary to him as he didn't have the prettiest, most elegant face, and could take the 'clutter'.

I've never heard a judge say it wasn't correct or not used - I see it about a lot. I think in most cases the rugby pelham does look too busy which would make it passively 'incorrect' as it's not complimenting the horse, but occasionally it's a very handy bit =] x

newrider.com