Showing- tack colour question!

HairyCob

Has anyone seen my mind?
Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
Brief post from me for a change...!!

My friend is about to buy her little spotted ponio a new saddle, and doesn't know what colour to get- has been advised that brown is best for showing, but already has black bridle:rolleyes:

They only do very small local shows with him, and they *usually* only show him in hand... would they be horribly penalised for showing him in sparkling matching black tack if they did do some ridden classes?

Although i show county often and have black tack and its made no difference. Although if it was neck and neck it could be the deciding factor.

I believe brown is the colour that all horses and ponies should be shown in unless they are grey in that case its black. At local shows it wouldnt matter at all but having said that like louise said if its neck and neck they could look for somthing to deparate the ponies. The bottom line is that if you want to show at a high level get brown if not get which ever you like best!

I believe brown is the colour that all horses and ponies should be shown in unless they are grey in that case its black.

Most 'showing people' show greys in brown tack too.

It really won't matter at all. Traditionally all tack for showing should be brown (since brown tack used to be better quality...a long time ago), it also tends to look less harsh on the eye. However, contrary to what most people think, it doesn't make a difference to your placing unless your doing a tack and turnout class. It may make a difference to the overall look of the horse (which will then influence your placing) but the judge won't inspect what tack you have and compare it to another horse's, a class is judged on the horse, not on what it's wearing etc. All the tack/dress etc being correct just creates a nicer overall impression.

Your friend shouldn't worry about having a black saddle at all, it's not perfect, but it doesn't sound like she'll be doing the county circuit etc, so she should be fine.

iv always been intrigued by this too as iv heard so many different opinions! What about for other things such as dressage, showjumping, hunting etc? does it matter what colour tack you have for that? I have also noticed that diamonte browbands and saddle cloths have become very popular at the yard, can you use them for any classes? Also can you be penalised for synthetic tack? What is the correct colour for a black or piebald horse?

I really love the look of rich brown leather, however its such a nightmare to get it all too match if you need to replace bits, and sometimes you cant get a bridle/martingale to match a saddle. It would drive me mad knowing my tack didnt match, im a perfectionist lol

Oh how disappointing HC!

From the title I thought YOU were going showing...... :p

brown tack is the tradition and the 'right', safe way to go.
black is a tad risky and reckless, and in some cases downright rude, in the judges eyes.
but for local shows you get a little more leway.

Jane I'm killing myself laughing at the thought....!!! Although, A and I do plan to ride our errant nedsters to the local shows this year, to see how they behave... POSSIBLY with a view to entering 'prettiest pony' or some such class NEXT year;)

So.... black or brown, doesn't really matter for local shows, but 'proper' would be brown, unless said ned is grey, in which case black... said ned is grey...with black spots;) I guess she'll go for black:D

Here's the little chap in question....HOW cute?!

PasturesNew016.jpg

newrider.com