Showing Turn Out and Individual Show advice

Gattino

Happy Appy
Jul 16, 2012
Ireland
Hi

Couple quick q's for those who have experience showing. Have first showing class with the spotty one next Saturday and have a few things to pick up

It is a more novice class at the show: pleasure horse and is aimed at the leisure rider.

Should my show cane that matches colour of my tack (brown) or boots (black)?

My tweed jacket is green with navy velvet trim, I can't afford a proper velvet show hat so is a navy velvet cover on my skull the correct choice?

For individual show was going to walk away from judge in staight line, then trot on, trot a fig of 8, canter fig of 8 and then extended canter/gallop on longside, back to trot, then walk, halt and salute judge. Walk back into line up.

Any other tips?

He has unsual markings and colour so will stand out I hope from other competitors and he is a sweetheart so hope judge likes him.

Sounds fun!! Show cane ideally brown, navy velvet cover fine. Show sounds fine but be prepared for a judge to tell you what they want. Do final walk on a long rein and put in a rein back if you can I personally wouldn't trot a complete figure of eight unless your horse has a spectacular trot, short is better!!

Thanks eml :D

Good idea about final walk on long rein. I have never done rein back (intentionally) with him so won't put that in :)

So if I ask for canter when changing rein in trot on fig of 8 would be better?

Lol, he actually can do a fab walk to canter at home but it is not guaranteed 100% of time so will stick to the safe option of trot to canter as first time I will be showing him.

There will also be lots of pics hopefully on day as the main photographer at show is going to ask her crew to 'stalk the spotty one'

Reactions: Jessey
Aw thanks everyone, he is also doing fancy dress class with my friends little boy, the little boy is going to be the milky bar kid and cyrus a cowboy's ponyhorse lol!

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com