Showjumping rules?

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Well not even rules really ...

I've been looking at the competitions available at our local arena, who run Trailblazers jumping. Although I enjoy watching jumping I've just realised I have no idea of how it actually works, for instance if you enter the 65 cm class and lots of people go clear what happens next? Do the jumps go up and/or do you jump against the clock? I can't pluck up enough courage to enter unless I know I'm not going to be expected to jump much higher!

Generally there are 2 ways that showjumping comps work. It should state on the entry form which method they are using.

Sometimes you ride 2 rounds. The first round is not against the clock (although sometimes there is a time limit). If you go clear, you wait until everyone has finished round 1 and then go into the arena again and ride a jump off course against the clock. This is normally a different course to the first round you would have jumped, and typically the jumps are put up slightly.

Alternatively, venues run what I think is called a '2 phase event'. Here you only go into the arena and jump once. The first half of the course (say jumps 1 to 8) is treated like the first round. If you have any faults in jumps 1 to 8, after jump 8 a bell will ring and you leave the arena. If you go clear for jumps 1 to 8, you carry on and complete the rest of the course (say jumps 9 to 15) which is timed. Sometimes the jumps are slightly higher, but not normally too much and typically if the course is at a smaller venue they re-use some of the previous jumps (1 to 8) that you have previously jumped.

Hope that makes sense. I am in no way an expert jumper, but I do enjoy watching the professionals jump at the big shows.

There are different types of classes and the way they operate often varies slightly from one show to the next, so your best bet is to contact the centre to find out. You can read more about the Trailblazers showjumping league here, and scroll down to the bottom of the page for PDFs of the rules.

http://www.trailblazerschampionships.com/information-showjumping.php

Saying that I should think it's most likely that it will be a standard format class - everyone jumps the first course (which isn't against the clock BUT there will nearly always be a maximum time allowed), and then all the clear rounds go through to the jump-off. The jumpoff is usually a shortened version of the existing course, sometimes with the numbers mixed up a bit, for example your jumpoff could be fences 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9 or something that requires a little more planning on your part, for example 2, 6, 7, 4, 5 and 9.

Normally the numbers for the jumpoff are available while the class is being run and they will either be written up on a board somewhere or on a piece of paper for you to collect from a judge or steward. If you get a clear round then it's a good idea to get hold of the jumpoff numbers as soon as you can so that you have a chance to work out your route.

Whether or not the jumps get bigger for the jumpoff depends on the competition so you will need to check with the venue. But they do usually go up a little bit, in unaffiliated comps it's normally only 5cm or so. I know it sounds intimidating but to be honest it shouldn't really be a problem - because one of the principles of preparing for SJ is to train at home over HIGHER jumps than the classes you compete in. So if you plan to enter the 65cm class you should be practising over 70cm+ at home - practise for both the horse and for you. That means if you do get into the jumpoff and the fences have gone up, your horse will be perfectly capable of doing them, and there's no need for you to have a panic attack!

The local trailblazers class here is 2-phase and the jumps in the 2nd phase can be a little higher and wider but it does usually state in the schedules how they are running it and the maximum height of the class and "jump off". It depends on the venue I think, ours reuse a couple of jumps for the second phase but include an awkward turn and a couple of the jumps are usually bigger

Thanks ladies. The two-phase type of competition sounds even more complicated than having to jump twice! I had a lesson today and only had to jump 6 jumps, I'd forgotten the course after the first two. I don't think I could manage to remember one whole course, never mind two courses in one go. Are you allowed to walk the course? I think my problem is that when I'm sitting in one place in the arena planning the course from my spot, when I start moving I can't visualise the course from the new angles.

Yes you will always have a chance to walk the course before the class starts :) You don't get to walk a jumpoff though, half of the skill is being able to work out where to go and "think on the hoof" so to speak! BTW if your class is 2-phase you will only have one course to learn anyway.

Remembering courses takes practise but it does get easier the more you do it. Everyone has different ways of remembering and after a few goes you will work out which method is best for you. My boss can walk it once and then picture it in her head as if she's riding round it, but I simply cannot visualise like that! - I have to walk it twice and then sort of trace a map in the air with my finger.

Two phase is easier because it is essentially jumped as one course (and yes, like joosie says, you can walk the whole lot). Me and Rubic did the trailblazers class a couple of years ago. Unfortunately it went a bit wrong as she put in a funny jump that caught me off guard, my hat slipped over my eyes and I couldn't really see where I was going. I couldn't decide whether to stop or try and sort it on the go and we crashed through a jump but luckily stayed together and I managed to finish the course. It all went a bit hairy after that. I've got the videos on youtube somewhere if you want to see what the course was like (and have a laugh at my awful riding:tongue:)

I remember those videos Rubic :giggle: And trust me, we have all been there with the hat thing :tongue:

I much prefer 2-phase because, aside from only having one course to learn, it gives me time to "get into it" and get my confidence up before I have to attempt any tight turns. It is also fun when you have a horse like Jam who anticipates the turns and starts turning before I do :giggle: Cutting corners in the jumpoff phase is the obvious way to save time but you can save even more by jumping fences off an angle rather than a straight-line approach. I don't like separate jumpoffs cos I always forget where I'm going!

These were both 2-phase classes, clock started after number 6.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99qhUxMSLNo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKzwDkQRso8

Thanks for those videos, I enjoyed watching them but it doesn't make it seem any less complicated! The hat incident did make me laugh though.

I have loads of admiration for you both, don't think I'm ready for it just yet.

Is Jem's jump comfy? He seems to be able to jump with his head up and landing almost on all four feet, like a deer!

newrider.com