Sid's diary

@chunky monkey my saddle fitter said that research has shown that whatever the saddle imbalance the rider will lean forward in an attempt to compensate - why that is I don't know, but I did once use pads to deliberately unbalance a saddle and whether I put them in front or behind I found as soon as the horse moved she was right!

Reactions: Jessey
Oh could you do me a favour and take some pictures of what your saying about the sweat bits on the saddle area @Jane&Ziggy . I want to compare with Billy as im sure his saddle has moved and i notice he has quite a bit of sweat at the back. Although like @carthorse i feel im leaning forward. Which doesnt equate to the sweat at the back if i understand right.
Im due a saddle fit.
I'll try to remember next time I ride :)

I would agree that in that photo the front looks high and the pressure is on the back of it, is it the same when you're on? The area you sit on should be level, here I would say it isn't. Is there much change in balance when you're sat on it?

I would agree that in that photo the front looks high and the pressure is on the back of it, is it the same when you're on? The area you sit on should be level, here I would say it isn't. Is there much change in balance when you're sat on it?
I am honestly not sure but this is what I will ask my RI to check. I'm seeing her a week on Monday :)

In the meantime have a feel when you're sat on him, and if possible ask someone to take some side on photos of you on him when he's stood - as long as you've got clothes on that don't cover the saddle you should be able to at least get an idea from them.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
@chunky monkey , @carthorse , I rode again today. The saddle slipped back a little as we went and felt more horizontal as a result - but then I fear the weight is coming too far back on his 17th rib, or wherever it is supposed to stop. I did take some pictures.

You can see the round marking clearly on this one, but there are other markings too which feels more appropriate. Yesterday there was really only the cantle marking.
tempImagem88oLW.png

On this side the marks are more evenly spread
tempImagehuw9GN.png

Oh, the worries of a cylindrical horse!

Looking at that first picture I suspect the saddle may be too tight and the front and possibly bridging.

Where the marks are in relation to his shoulder make me think you've got to have the saddle where it slips back to because any further forward and it will block his shoulder movement - not comfortable for him and it's also going to make the saddle move. It's interesting that the seat felt more level when it had slipped back, did you look where the saddler sat it when she fitted it? People who aren't used to "proper" cobs often don't realise how much allowance you have to make for those shoulders, trace the back of the shoulder with your hand and then make sure the points of the saddle are behind it - you may be surprised at where that puts your saddle. As for the last rib issue, as long as you aren't sat on the back of the saddle then it doesn't matter quite so much where the saddle ends (obviously within reason!) and it may well be that if the back of the saddle is dropped your weight is further back than if the saddle is slightly further back but is allowing you to sit in the middle of it. Having rattled on and said all that I do think you need a saddle fitter out not just your instructor looking at it.

I agree about the "fun" of a cylindrical horse though and I have to say that I recently bought a hunting breastplate because I think the time may come when one will be useful on Luka. As he gets fitter and slimmer his action gets bigger and he looks like he may run up slightly behind if the belly goes. I'd rather not find saddle and girth have migrated to his hindquarters :eek: 🤣

Another thought is that rather than the front being too high and pushing the back down it could be the back is too low and lifting the front - you cold try putting a folded tea towel under the back for a brief try to see if that helps?

Thanks @carthorse. I will call my saddler and she if she can make it out any time soon. He went nicely today, so I don't think it's bothering him, but I would so much rather than dam' thing fitted.

He does have BIG shoulders....

Reactions: carthorse
Gosh on those pictures i wonder if Billys is fitted correctly at all. He has some serious sweat marks under the back of his saddle.

On Friday I wrote to the lady who passported Sid back in 2010 to ask if perchance they bred him and if I might learn something about him. Today they called me! A chap called Harry said yes, they do breed 'orses, and that was his old mum's name on the passport, and there were too many to remember but if I sent some pictures of Sid to him on WhatsApp he would probably remember if he was one of theirs. So I shall do that. Fingers crossed!

Did a tapeworm saliva test for Sid today. If he has a bad result I'll test Mattie too (Mattie was clear before Sid arrived). He had to have nil by mouth for 30 minutes before the test so I groomed him and gave him a jolly good massage with the Fascial Edge. He loved it. He didn't like the saliva test but hey ho.

Reactions: Huggy
Sid's tapeworm test came back clear, hurrah! I will worm him with Strongid in October just to get rid of any lingering pinworms, which Mattie was very prone to. Then he should be ok with poo and saliva tests going forward.

His feet have grown very long because my trimmer has had to have an operation and it's taken me a while to get around to finding a substitute for this trim. She's coming next week but until then I can't get his boots on. So today we went for a LONG walk around a route we have never done, on lanes and tracks all around the village. Having lived on our quiet quiet yard for nearly 6 months Sid is out of practice with traffic and was a bit goggle eyed at the big lorries, but he soon remembered that they were OK.

The first hour he was very keen, sniffing the breeze and striding out. He enjoyed passing our village shop and mugging all the customers for whatever they might have got. Then he suddenly got tired, fed up and nappy. Nappy for him means not going forward, just standing and looking dumb. I found the only way to get him to go was to administer the equivalent of a pony club kick with the folded end of my 12ft rope. After that worked, he didn't stick again: I only had to look at his girth for him to move forward.

He is very sweet when we wait in lay bys. I stand at his head and put my arm around his face under the chin and he leans on my shoulder! And EVERY CAR and van that passed him rolled down their window and said, "Oh, your horse has such amazing eyes!"

Today my gardener Mike brought his 8-year old son around to meet Sid. C is mad keen on horses, he just loves them, though he has not had a chance to meet many.

They came over to the field with me. I had baited the shelter with hay so Sid was right there! C was initially a bit overawed by how big Sid seemed, but he soon forgot the nerves and very politely held out his hand for Sid to sniff. I wasn't sure how Sid would feel about taking care of another child, and he was quite wary initially, but C was calm and friendly and after a little while Sid relaxed too.

I chatted away to C about how I got Sid, and what he was like when I got him, while I got out the bareback pad and put it on. C asked intelligent questions about scabby legs on feathery cobs - I was amazed but he said there's a lady with feathery cobs who posts on Tik Tok about scabby legs and feet! Sid didn't turn a hair as I tacked him up, which was nice. I said we would manage without a bridle this time but maybe put the bridle on next time. Mike stepped in to lift C on board and Sid and I took him for a ride around the field.

C absolutely loved it

Lesson on Sid.jpg

and Sid seemed happy and relaxed too. He went the whole way with his head down low, just tootling along. But he is a good responsive boy. Once we got back to the flat by the shelter I offered C a little trot and he said Yes, so I told Sid to trot on and ran beside. He trotted immediately, but much more slowly than he would do with me on board! Such a sweetie.

I showed C how to get off properly and he slid all the way down to the ground with the biggest grin on his face. Then I suggested he hang out with Sid for a bit and he was eager to do so. There was a little hay left, and Sid nommed down on it while I showed C how to pick out his feet and treat his mallenders, but before all the hay was gone Sid stopped eating and manoeuvred himself broadside on to me, Mike and C so that all 3 of us could scratch him at once.

When we left he followed us to the gate, but at that point he seemed a bit stressed, with ears back. C said, "Maybe he thinks you want to sell him to me, and he says he doesn't want to". I thought that was an enlightened comment!

C asked so politely if he could come back and see Sid again, and of course I said yes. It felt lovely to make him so happy!

He’s such a sweetie (sid of course, but C sounds a nice kid too). I love letting kids get some pony time, I remember being that kid and how much it meant to me.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
newrider.com