Sid's diary

Out today for a hack. Sid's feet were clearly more comfortable, we went bootless for an hour and he was fine at walk and happy to trot and canter where I asked. We had one big spin-and-run when an old guy with his dog hovered just out of sight (WHY do people do that?!) but a one rein stop did the trick in about 4 strides. 2 ladies walking dachshunds, who looked appalled at the prospect of a small but heavy cob bearing down on them in full flight, were very relieved.

Funny how I get anxious when I am tacking him up but a performance like that doesn't bother me one whit. Very odd.

Note to self: it really is important to wash his girth every time. A clean girth is much, much less itchy. Even one wear makes a difference.

I'm the same getting ready, butterflies etc, but fine once I'm on. And dog walkers in the bushes! I know they're trying to help, but most horses firmly believe they're going to jump out and murder them.

Today I oiled Sid's feathers. I am sure I should have washed them first but I was sternly warned by the vet only to wash them if absolutely essential, so I didn't. I used EquiOil with a little extra lavender oil, brushed it on with a paintbrush, then used a broad-tined comb on the backs (where the feather is so thick and strong it is almost like bushes) and on his fronts, where his mallenders is and he is frightened of the comb, I massaged it in with my hands.

I was amazed how much oil those feathers took. I must have used 750ml and around the tops of his hooves I could have put more on. And it wasn't dripping off anywhere, honestly the hair seemed to absorb it. Sid wasn't tied up, I like to know if he's worried about anything. He shook his ears at the comb but loved the massage and stood like a statue with his lower lip wobbling (mission accomplished). I still don't understand why I was advised that he doesn't like being fussed over: my experience of him is that he loves it!

He looks dreadful at present with dirty oily legs. But the backs of his front legs, which I have been oiling for months against mallenders, are white and silky. So I hope that with time the rest will go that way.

I used to put pig oil on Bens feathers. After the first application they looked horrible, but after a while they turned really lovely and white as the mud no longer stuck to them.

I love the way that Sid enjoys spending time with you and your ethos towards him. He is one lucky horse to have ended up with you.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Oh thank you, that is what I am hoping for! How did you apply it? It took me ages to work into Sid's feathers and I am still sure I didn't get all the way through.
Fingers are invaluable when grooming. Not only for feeling every inch of skin for bits and scabs etc, but the horse will react to any tenderness. I have no experience with feathers, but I do with a mane.

Reactions: Huggy
Oh thank you, that is what I am hoping for! How did you apply it? It took me ages to work into Sid's feathers and I am still sure I didn't get all the way through.
I used to pour the oil onto this feathers and then massage it through with my fingers. It was a messy job but he needed a fair bit of oil to cover them and I found by rubbing it in with my fingers I could get right to the skin. I always wore old clothes as it went everywhere. My fingers were always really soft afterwards though.

Fingers are invaluable when grooming. Not only for feeling every inch of skin for bits and scabs etc, but the horse will react to any tenderness. I have no experience with feathers, but I do with a mane.
Likewise for the mane. My fear was that Hogan would lose his, as I ride and groom him (He was turned away for 2 years before I got him, so mane and feathers were incredible - so long and thick) I run my fingers through his mane every day, and only brush the days I'm riding. He hasn't lost too much.

Are Sids feathers straight or wavy? Hogans are quite wavy, not as attractive as straight.

Are Sids feathers straight or wavy? Hogans are quite wavy, not as attractive as straight.
They are straight at the front. The back feathers don't seem to have liked being clipped off at all, and at the moment they are more like a bush of heather than anything - thick, harsh and standing out from the leg. I'm hoping the oil will tame them a bit.

Reactions: Huggy
Lovely ride today, not long because I was feeling very weary but such nice trots and even a couple of good canters.

I wish Sid would be persuaded that the roots of fallen trees are not going to kill him, but he really hates them. Shame there so many of them on our heath!

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
Lovely ride today, not long because I was feeling very weary but such nice trots and even a couple of good canters.

I wish Sid would be persuaded that the roots of fallen trees are not going to kill him, but he really hates them. Shame there so many of them on our heath!
Hogan hates those too! Tons in the forest.

and only brush the days I'm riding. He hasn't lost too much.
I have a problem with mane and tail brushes. For years at the old yard I lent the one from my posh set to a member of staff who loved it. But a stiff body brush is much better. And, as with one's own long hair, start at the tip and work upwards.

Nooo, a body brush takes out and breaks far more hair than a carefully used mane brush. Plus it would take forever to get through a cob mane or tail.

I tend to work through the tail every few days, that way it never gets tangled and I lose very little hair. I do do it very carefully though holding the bulk of the tail out the way and working through a small section at a time.

Lovely ride today, not long, only an hour, but plenty of trotting. I tried hard to correct my forward tilt as in my lesson earlier this week and I think Sid's trot felt freer as a result.

The Heath was crammed with people walking dogs so we didn't get all the trotting we could have - my legs were grateful! - but Sid met a couple of families with little girls whose day he obviously made, and that always gives me a warm rosy glow.

We did a couple of turns on the forehand to help strengthen his back leg and in the gully on the way home I practised getting off the wrong side, getting back on from the wrong side, getting off backwards and so on. Sid was cheerful and patient and didn't move when I was in the middle of anything. He is such a poppet.

I used treats today when girthing to encourage him to keep his head forward and be patient. It worked really well, he didn't blow up and was relaxed enough for me to tighten the girth fully before we left the shelter. I notice he wasn't madly itchy on our return either, so I must be doing something right.

I wouldn't be able to get on on the 'wrong' side. That would mess with my head!
It is required in the BHS riding and road safety test, I believe. Mounting and dismounting.
I have never been able to dismount in the normal way, so the BHS said they would not require it, However I never took the test as (I assume) the RS wanted to advertise a 100% successrate and I guess they felt dubious about me.
Although I didnt take the test, I have always been glad I did the course. We had workmen on the yard and had to ride past pneumatic drills.

newrider.com