Silliest Spook.

GaryB

Mar 23, 2015
Shamelessly pinched from another forum! I saw a very funny thread on another forum about the stupidest thing your horse has spooked at, and I wondered if anyone here wanted to play?

I'll start off with a couple from my share horse Bug

A huge spook when he saw his reflection in a 'phone box (although to be fair we are a bit hi viz)

Also there is a square piece of hardboard about 12" square lying on a grass verge that he spooks at every single time he passed it (about once a fortnight)

Ha, we had a thread about this a little while ago but we've had lots of new members since then so I don't mind playing again!

Ziggy and I had been on a long hack and were heading home down the littlest lane. He hardly ever wees under saddle but obviously he couldn't hold it as he stretched out. We were nearly home so I hopped off to give his back room and to stretch my legs - I often walk the last half mile. We were on a downhill slope and his river of wee ran past his front hooves, whereupon he gave a humungous spook, so much so I was glad I wasn't on board!

A woman walking down the street, just an ordinary lady. I think she was offended as he went past her snorting and dancing!
Ha ha, that reminds me of when Belle took a fancy to a lady out jogging one day, the lady stopped and asked if she could give Belle a mint and that was it! Belle just kept trying to turn around and run after her.

One of mine always spooks at piles of grit at the side of the road even though every time I hacked him he saw at least 3. Also you can be trotting along and if we come across a SLOW sign on the road, it's like he can actually read this and slams the brakes on :cool: traffic doesn't seem to bother them but a fallen down wall or a new bit of fencing that looks different is a different matter :p

A daffodil. My old share didn't like yellow flowers in general, but this particular daffy was growing all on it's own on an embankment and he found it quite horrifying. We managed to get past it eventually but he kept his eye on it the whole time ...

Raf has spooked at all sorts, but I can generally agree with his point of view, although getting fixated on the person with an umbrella about half a mile in the distance was going a bit far. He did once make a small scary child on a scooter cry by snorting at her very loudly.

I went to ride my neighbours nice quiet coblet a few months ago and I was super scary when I tried to catch him, well aparently the orange hiviz I was wearing instead of my normal yellow was petrifying, I had to take it off to catch and tack up and re Don it just before I mounted :rolleyes:

Last week mine had a meltdown about a woman walking on the footpath, he normally dislikes prams but this woman was alone on foot and walking towards him so really no excuse. He tends to jog get himself excited and then everything becomes scary, he is improving though but it's a slow process:-( xx

My mobile is another thing that's terrified him when I've forgotten to turn it to silent. I think with mine it just depends how he's feeling sometimes a drains a scary horse eater and yet other times he marches past the exact same drain, he has major issues with traffic behind him although that has improved, tbh my ai thinks he's been clipped by a car or someone's tried to brake him to drive badly as his anxiety levels were so high. Now a year on we are still battling on, he's just such a kind soul that i cannot give up on him. I am sure under all the anxiety and nerves they is a real forward happy sensible little horse and I'm determined to find it! x

I went to ride my neighbours nice quiet coblet a few months ago and I was super scary when I tried to catch him, well aparently the orange hiviz I was wearing instead of my normal yellow was petrifying, I had to take it off to catch and tack up and re Don it just before I mounted :rolleyes:
I once had a horse that almost sat down when I entered the stable with my hi viz on, saying that she was also scared stiff of shavings bags, nice horse but very quirky, lol. xx

I once had a horse that almost sat down when I entered the stable with my hi viz on, saying that she was also scared stiff of shavings bags, nice horse but very quirky, lol. xx

When he was a baby Raf sat down twice with me on board - once when a duck flew out of a ditch and once over a tractor. He still gets jelly legs when he's scared but they seem to be able to support him now lol. It was a strange sensation - I thought he was rearing (I've never been reared with) but was confused by the fact I was going down, not up.

Reactions: HaloHoney and GaryB
An update, last night Charlie refused to go in his stable because the torch was on the floor outside his stable. I had to pick it up for him to walk him :rolleyes:

Reactions: GaryB
Mine used to jump at piles of mud. Once it made the instructor jump which I giggled at, I knew she was going to.
She still snorts and has issues about wet patches of water, especially if the sun reflects it. Probably looks like a hole in the middle of the road.

She jumped today as it goes. I was out jogging and she sort of went forwards but yielded her quarters towards the problem. It saved me doing it for her :)
Possibly her first trotting quarters in. Don't know what it was, something of importance to her.

My ponies silliest spook was last Friday at a tractor tyre track on the verge going into a field I was like u what omg so I spun him round and walked him past it again then turned round and walked back by it again lol he also sometimes spooks at his own shadow and also spooks at nothing sometimes but I'm lucky with him coz his spooks are next to nothing he will either go gangly legged underneath u or he will shoot forward a couple of feet or just to the side lol

Reactions: GaryB
newrider.com