Sitting Trot....

Mazpup

Horseless
Sep 1, 2001
London
www.expage.com
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I've searched this forum and haven't yet found an answer. I've been reading Heather's book, and everything in it sounds clear and logical, yet I'm finding it hard to put into practice, not just sitting trot, but other ideas too. I only get to ride once a week onsome dodgy riding school pony with a rubbish intructor (I'm moving schools ASAP!) and I was wondering whats the best way to learn? I'm really keen to learn how to ride and move with a horse properly, yet I can't teach myself, even from a book. I'll continue to practice but do you have any advice?
Thank You

One of the best things you can possibly do, without good coaching/instruction, is have someone watch you and call out what you are doing. Even if it's someone who knows nothing about horses, describe/show what you are trying to do (for example, "my legs should be here"), and ask for corrections if you slip up. In that sort of worst-case, you can really only work on one thing at once--but that's better than nothing ;)

The best-case scenario, of course, is finding a *good* instructor, with whom you communicate well, and having regular lessons.

Having someone on the ground helps so much; when you're sitting on a horse, there are things you just can't see. And the way it feels to you may not be what you're doing.

Everyone understands things just a touch differently; what is the best way for me to learn may be the opposite for you! That's why there are so many different books with so many different ways of describing essentially the same concepts. Just because I agree with most people on NR about how to carry out a lot of concepts, doesn't mean we would all describe them the same way. Communication with your coach has to be clear; if you find you can't learn from someone, find another.

I hope you can find a school with a good instructor and willing horses :) That makes learning so much easier.

One of my simulator workshops would help you a great deal Mazpup, to understand and put into practise the simple biomechanics of sitting trot etc.

Heather

Maz~I share with you the agony of how to skillfully sit the sitting trot. Grr.
Being 22 in the US, I have about as much likelihood as you of crossing paths with Heather any time soon...

I finally have the EE book, at least...

ah, the sitting trot syndrome. We've all been there. sitting trot, believe it or not(hey that rhymes!) actually is helpful. It helps you to feel the movements of your horse, and you can tell if you're ahead or behind in the horses movements. Just relax, and let your body absorb all the bounce instead of reacting to it. Let your shoulders sag, and don't think of keeping your back straight, with sitting trot you have to let your body be more relaxed, but not slumped over. It's easier with longer stirrups, or without stirrups.

It is also heaps of help if you can get someone to video or take digital pics of you in your lesson ( i suppose when you get a better instructor!!) That's what we do when our instructor comes out to us in the holidays (i wish it was more often). Then you can actually see what you weren't doing etc. It is also great to see that you actually progress, even though it doesn't feel like it.

Now, the sitting trot. Try to absorb the movement of the horse. It's hard to explain. Try and move your hips to the strides, but be relaxed or as our instructor says "hula" ! You have to be really supple. Sorry I'm not much help ;)

something i find helpful when i'm teaching sitting trot (and the students say it helps too) is to think about actively moving the stomach, hip and thigh muscles, rather than 'going with' the horse unconsciously. in walk, take your feet out of your stirrups and try to feel which muscles are moving as you go with the horse's movement. then play around with moving them consciously - it's a fine line between mirroring the horse's movement, which you want to do, and moving too much or too little. you'll find that when you do it right, the horse will walk on nicely, but when you do too much, or move at a different rhythm to the horse, the horse will slow down. when you can go with the horse, you can then slow the rhythm of your movements deliberately to slow the horse down. it's pretty much the same movement at sitting trot. the main difference is to think of deliberately moving on top of the horse, so you're mirroring his his movement with your seat; instead of what people often get told, which is to hang on and grip. you don't need to grip very much at all if your hips are making the same movement as the horse's back.

Well done Es, I'm one of those students that finds the whole 'r-e-l-a-x' instruction annoying because I have tried sitting their like a sack of spuds and it feels awful to me. I've seen people who learned to do just that and its not how I want to sit the trot.

The hula, riding a bicycle backwards, actively moving with\following the movement instructions are far more useful and accurate - although I have to admit that I still have trouble with very big movement (extended trot or horses with very big medium trot for instance).

Mazpup

If you could have arranged to go to one of Heather's workshops on the simulator that would have been the best option.

It must be really difficult to try so hard to ride in a way that's acceptable to you if you're finding it hard to do so using he words from Heather's book without any backup instruction.

Can you access Heather's video? If you cannot, please PM me and I'll send you mine as long as your parents are happy with that.

The only other thing I can think of to help is to invite you to visit our yard so you could watch me riding Kerry. If your Mum or Dad can bring you, of course. I'm not that brilliant myself but I could at least show you what I've learned and I'd be happy to do that.

Loan of Heather's video

If Mazpup doesn't need it first - yes of course I will. If Mazpup does need it first then you can borrow it after Mazpup.

Maybe you could collect it from Checkendon?

HI everyone,

Mazpup, the action/movement of your hips in sitting trot, when done correctly, is exactly the same movement as your hips and pelvis make when running. Try jogging on the spot and monitoring the movements of your hips- ignore what your legs are doing, because it is your seatbones that become your 'feet' when in the saddle. Just feel the movement of your whole pelvis and also place your fingers on your spine in the small of your back as you run on the spot.

You should feel a small spring-like movement there, which is your lower back flexing to permit you to run freely. This is the exact same movement that the lower back makes in a correct sitting trot - a small controlled spring, not a huge wibbly wobbly wiggle, as you will see some riders trying to make to absorb the movement. I think that is where so many instructors go wrong trying to prevent this, telling the rider to sit still or tuck the pelvis under, so stopping all movement in the lower back, instead of permitting that small spring.

So practise your jogging on the spot and imagine the horse underneath you, and imagine his legs, instead of your own.

Hope this also helps-

Heather

hi Viv - "sack of spuds" syndrome is not relaxing, its abdicating all responsibility as a rider !

I guess thats the problem with words. What we really mean when we say relax is to release any tension, any attempt by your mind/body to block the horses movement, and flow with the horse. To lose and unnecssary movement. To match your movement to the horse by allowing the horse to move you, and by absorbing that movement gently and naturally.

The sack'o'spuds guys don't go with the horse's movement, they just are like a plate of jelly on a horse ! :D

(Talking of words - I had a teacher when I was training who used to scream "RELAAXXXXXX!!!!!!" at us. Needless to say it did not have the effect he wanted ! ;) )

since a few western lessons my sitting trot has never been better. i much prefer it to posting.

although i think im at an advantage because although i have terribly weak arms and legs i do have good strength and control in my pelvis and hips, which i think is why im told i have a natural seat.

so maybe some excersizes for strengthening this area would help? i know pilates would be great for this, but they cost alot here (perth, aus).

There are lots of good Pilates books and videotapes out now - you don't need all the fancy equipment (unless you get to the really advanced stage, or live in Hollywood).

The most important things are the basics (breathing and muscle control) and the better books and tapes explain those.

newrider.com