Sleep tight little chicken

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Just gone to put the chicks to bed and found one of the girls dead. She laid an egg today and was bumbling around fine, but cold and gone. Lost the big cockerel couple of weeks ago. Not that old, around 6.

Such a shame, she was a nice little girl

Oh what a shame. We have lost 3 this year in a similar way. The old girl was coming up for 9, but still laying. She was helping my OH with some digging (ie removing the worms!) and ”talking” to him as usual, then suddenly turned away, walked a few steps and dropped down dead. My OH was so upset. One of the others was 4 or 5, and had been a bit quiet for a couple of days, but the third was only in her second year and seemed as fit as a fiddle.

• Sad
Reactions: Trewsers
Oh what a shame. We have lost 3 this year in a similar way. The old girl was coming up for 9, but still laying. She was helping my OH with some digging (ie removing the worms!) and ”talking” to him as usual, then suddenly turned away, walked a few steps and dropped down dead. My OH was so upset. One of the others was 4 or 5, and had been a bit quiet for a couple of days, but the third was only in her second year and seemed as fit as a fiddle.
these are all around 5-6 years old, lost first cockerel about 18 months ago, second one 4-6 weeks ago and now first of the girls. They are pedigrees so not long living compared to x breeds. They were very sweet hens, the new lot are incredibly flighty

How sad. It is odd how they keel over. We lost an 18 month old laying hen last year - went into the hutch to lay and instead of laying an egg she lay down and died. Go figure.

newrider.com