Slight heat in the leg?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Ben had a nasty injury about a month ago where he sustained a very deep cut to his cannon bone. To cut a long story short, the vet has been out 4 times and delcared him sound and recommended that he is ridden daily. I don't ride him hard at all, in the evenings we school mainly in walk and trot, and at the weekends we hack in walk. Apart from a short canter last week, we have done no fast work and certainly no jumping.

His leg is still warm the whole area around the cut. I am constantly trotting him up to see if he is lame but he isn't. I have asked advice from a variety of people who all tell me that he is sound. When I poke and prod the leg I get no reaction from him at all. He isn't resting the leg and will put full weight on it.

Therefore, I don't think that he is in pain. But I am confused about why there is heat in this leg? The vet said to ride him because he needs to maintain his circulation and that riding will help him heal.

Any (constructive) comments? I don't want another discussion about going against my vets advice to ride as I will continue to do this. I trust my vet and my YM and I don't think that he is in pain. I just want to know if it is normal to expect the leg to remain warm and how long this will last for. This is the first time I have dealt with an injury and I need to learn what is expected in the recovery process.

I haven't a clue TBH MaryPoppins, but I would hope, under the circumstances, that the heat just means that the leg is continuing to heal?

I hope someone with a clue comes on soon and can reassure you.

While the cut has healed over the healing process itself is a longer one, the first cover over a wound is soft granulation that eventually is replaced by more fibrous tissue (often ending in a scar) if there is no scar there will be scar tissue under the surface.
While this happens there is an increase in blood flow to the area, which would account for the heat. This should gradually subside until you no longer notice it (with some horses I think its more noticable than others) This process can take 3-12 months depending on the severity of the injury. This is why your vet said exercise would be good as it keep good circulation to the area.
(spot whos just had a pathology lecture on inflammation)
Hope that helps, sounds completely normal to me.

I know nothing about horses healing, but our RI says soft tissue injury in humans takes 6 weeks to heal.
That matches medical advice not to ride or drive till 6 weeks after surgery - but also after injuries. But our GP puts healing as much longer, like a year. So this fits what Louby has now posted.

I wonder if its a bit like when ypu cut youself and when its healing up (tho you aren't in pain from it) it can feel quite warm around the area to touch? I would follow your vet advice - also if he does not mind you touching it I wouldn't be too concerned.

While the cut has healed over the healing process itself is a longer one, the first cover over a wound is soft granulation that eventually is replaced by more fibrous tissue (often ending in a scar) if there is no scar there will be scar tissue under the surface.
While this happens there is an increase in blood flow to the area, which would account for the heat. This should gradually subside until you no longer notice it (with some horses I think its more noticable than others) This process can take 3-12 months depending on the severity of the injury. This is why your vet said exercise would be good as it keep good circulation to the area.
(spot whos just had a pathology lecture on inflammation)
Hope that helps, sounds completely normal to me.

That's really useful and helps clarify what my vet was speaking about. Thank you.

newrider.com