Slipping Saddle, could it be the girth?

Zani

Jan 15, 2008
North Yorkshire
I recently had a new saddle fitted for my 15hh cob.

He is typically cobby in build, ie no withers, wide and flat backed! The saddler tried all sorts of saddles but the best fit was a Wintec VSD with an extra wide gullet.

I am sure that when we rode to try it the girth used was non elastic, but since I have been using a girth which is elastic on one end and I find that the saddle is slipping to the side.

Is this common with elastic girths? :unsure:

Elastic girths can pull the saddle to one side more. Also even even muscles on the horses back and make the saddle more prone to slipping in one direction.

Personally I don't think Wintec's are a very good fit for cobs. Friend who has a cob had the same saddle as you, which didn't really fit her, but saddler couldn't find anything else that would.

Friend has now gone treeless and horse much happier. But that is just my opinion. Praps try a breastplate if you like the saddle.

I hate to say it but I don't think the wintec VSD's come as an option on the wintec wide tree. The wide is specifically designed with the flat backed cob in mind. I think the VSD's still only come on the same tree as the 500s and 2000s which curves upwards away from the back under then cantle area. Then the panels themselves when you look at the saddle from the tail do mot match the angle of the horses back either as they are too obligue.

My flat backed mare had a wintec VSD. I was very skepical about the fit after reading threads about wintecs and cobs on here and got a saddle fitter out. He said all was well and put stuffing under the cair panels to make it fit. He also said that looking at the way my mare went her ack was fine.

I still wasn't convinced and got a physio out for a routine appointment. Didn't tell her my concerns but she picked up Joy's cronic stiffness through her back and asked to see my saddle. All the things that were wrong are in the thread I'll link to below. Please particularly look at the posts by pinkslady from the second page. She has put illustrations in too so you can see exactly what I have tried to explain above not to successfully! :redface:

http://newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133648

newrider.com