Slow feed nets

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I figured I make it's own thread as I'm trialing a few different net types at the moment, I hope others will add their experiances too :)

Background; I have been using mostly nets with 5cm holes over the last few years, often resorting to double netting and using the couple of small hole nets I have, it's worked but I hate filling nets twice a day and mine will just eat too much in summer if I don't net it. Mine get hay year round on a track, about 16kgs a day off of hesston bales (huge squares) and are all greedy.
My existing stash;
Old style non-slow feeder nets, 6" holes, lots of waste, big enough holes for pony and horse hoofs to go through, easy to stuff, not slow feeding at all.
Shires Deluxe (the old blue/black ones which are smaller than the new black/red ones)) are now 15 years old with a couple of repairs, 1.75" holes - good nets, last well, knots are quite prominent and material quite harsh, hold 5kg comfortably, slow eating a bit, ok to stuff.
Shires large haylage nets, 5cm/2" holes - good nets, last well, hold 4kg comfortably, don't slow them down so much as prevent waste, ok but not great to stuff.
Nibbleze Chilli net, tiny holes I would estimate to be 10-15mm- good net, lasted ok, Jess would rather stand giving it a death stare than fiddle about eating from it, is a pain to stuff, took less than 2kg of hay, no knots.
Shires softmesh, 1" holes - lasting well, slows them right down, no knots, material is absorbant so very heavy when wet, reasonable to stuff.

I have just added;
Shires Greedy Feeder, 1.25" holes, fine poly material (unsure how well it will last), knots but not big ones, huge net holds 8kg easily in 2/3 of the net, easy to stuff.
Nibbleze megaeze net 25mm holes, like a giant envelope with no draw string, no knots, holds lots of hay but didn't weight it yet (probably 8kg).

All nets are currently hung away from any side to push the net against to eat from. Last night I pitched the 2 newcomers against the softmesh. When first hung Jess tried all but settled at the megaeze to eat so seemed to prefer that (the boys just get whichever she doesn't want) and from how she was tucking in I thought it would be empty this morning, but the greedy feeder had the least left in it today, the megaeze in the middle and the softmesh the most left.

I've used 1" softmesh nets and greedy feeder nets for Little Un & find the softmesh much better. The greedy feeder ones slowed him down,but not as much as the softmesh, plus he soon chewed holes in the greedy feeders so he could put his nose in and munch as fast as he liked. On the plus side they are easily repaired with baling twine :rolleyes: .Like you I would sometimes find some hay left in the softmesh ones, quite amazing for Little Un! The only downside of the softmesh ones is the cord that ties them shut, after a while it seems to get too twisted which means I can't fully open the net, but that's easily dealt with.

Reactions: Jessey
I just googled the Megaeze nets to see what they looked like. First observation is that it's a stupid name :p - I had a vague idea of how to spell it after reading your post and I thought close enough would bring up a sensible search result but it didn't, so I had to go back and check the correct spelling. Second observation is the price! Is it really £46 for one net? :eek:

Well I have an old hessian nosebag someone could do a diy job with if they post about it. Would love to see the finished product.

Elimanet.
I had the one big enough for 2.5kg and she only had that during the day when on box rest.
Very easy to fill.
She had a choice to nibble on the straw net as well and neither were ever completely empty.

I just googled the Megaeze nets to see what they looked like. First observation is that it's a stupid name :p - I had a vague idea of how to spell it after reading your post and I thought close enough would bring up a sensible search result but it didn't, so I had to go back and check the correct spelling. Second observation is the price! Is it really £46 for one net? :eek:
I brought mine 2nd hand (in really good condition), I can't justify 50 quid on one net, I need to have multiples so I can prep morning nets and leave them with night nets, ideally I'd like to get to the point it can put 24 hours worth out at once and have it last that long, but no cigar yet.

Reactions: Bodshi
Elimanet.
I had the one big enough for 2.5kg and she only had that during the day when on box rest.
Very easy to fill.
She had a choice to nibble on the straw net as well and neither were ever completely empty.
Can a tiny net like that ever be easy to fill, not off big bales imo. I wish 2.5kg would last jess all day, she'd barely call it an appetiser :p

I found the Elimanet useless for Little Un, hardly slowed him down at all. In fact is had so little effect he didn't even bother chewing holes in it!

• Haha
It might suggest mine is a slow eater. I got it initially because it was dead simple to soak.
Mine is a lot smaller @Jessey than yours, vet had her on 2.5kg of hay per 8 hours though not in the beginning of box rest.

The softmesh is still winning :) The greedy feeders don't seem to slow them down much at all now, but are handy being so big :) The megaeze is consistently the 2nd most likely to have hay left in it :)

I use tricklenet - tiny holes say about 2cm max, really strong and long lasting, but, quite expensive, having said that I've had mine for over 7 years now and they still look like new despite getting soaked every single day!
I've had the Elimanet too, which I liked, however, after a year it's already got holes in it so is now useless for what it was bought for as fatty just shoves her face in the hole and drags out huge mouthfuls at a time.
Ive just checked the website and the holes are 2.5cm

Oh this is good timing! I'm wanting to make an insert for my hay boxes and was looking at net types and the soft mesh ines i thought may work well fixed to a frame. Thanks Jessey!

A quick update, since using the softmesh, megaeze and greedy feeders (I have 3 hay stations on the track and keep them filled 24/7) my hay useage has decreased. Normally my bale lasts me almost exactly 30 days (using 5cm holed nets and some loose), but this last one has lasted me 40 days! There is always hay left by the time I come to top up and no signs of any frustrations with the nets, and no Hangry outbursts from Jess :) I am sure the reduced wastage has helped too :)

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com